Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Zone Alarm

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Ok, who is the firewall guru....

I have a problem with my network after installing ZA free personal. I have a desktop running XP Pro SP2 which is connected to the internet through a router. In this is installed a wireless network card and I have a laptop running XP Pro SP2 connected via a secure wireless connection to the desktop. Before installing ZA, I had file sharing capabilities and internet access from the laptop, since the install, I can't access the internet. ZA did pop up alerts saying it blocked access from the network IP address but I can't find where to allow the connection. The wireless network is listed in the zones tab and I have added it to the trusted zone so the desktops documents are shared but I can't get the laptop to see he internet.

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
Im not a guru so ive got one suggestion UNINSTALL ZONE ALARM!!!!!!!! The program that is much more user friendly (and i think better protection) is Kerio Personal Firewall only IMO tho ive only ever had trouble with ZA and with kerio YOU tell it wat to block (its got an auto "Learning" mode, its free and legit :D

Its pretty good even put it on the missus' laptop :thumbsup:

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Why waste your money with any windows firewall? Run an open bsd gateway, this way you are safe from everything :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
Open zone alarm.
click on the Firewall down the left hand side.
you then can change the settings for your network. You will need to place your network under the Trusted Zone settings, and then configure zone alarm to allow trusted zones to access your computer.

I have zone alarm pro so it may be a bit different.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yeah it is, there is no custom configuration in the free version. The network is already in the trusted zone, so I can see the network but just not the internet.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Why waste your money with any windows firewall? Run an open bsd gateway, this way you are safe from everything :)

I only have the one desktop and it's the main PC, apparently it's not a good idea to have the main PC as a gateway.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover

jacko

Reaction score
Zone Alarm is sh1t, download Nod32, it runs in the background and scans everything that goes in and out and has a built in firewall.