Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE battery problem

ESS364

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
My VE SS manual is just 6 months old. 8000 ks on the clock. Found the battery flat this morning. Flat enough so it would not start but still enough to run electronics and the auto highlights etc.

Have trickled charged today and will see how it goes for the rest of week. (had to disconnect battery as the charger (4 amp unit) was tripping out trying to charge from terminals in engine bay. Had to disconnect battery and charge it by itself.!!!).

Over recent days it was turning over slower but everything else ok.
Checked charge and battery volts after days worth of trickle charge via Eng Mode :
Engine off...Volts = 12.3 Charge 2.3%...
Engine on...volts 14.7 Charge 2.3....volts seem a bit high.

I see in a few threads that others have had battery problems early in life of a VE so interested to know what people are finding. Don't think I like those auto headlights and the idea of a battery 3 meters from the starter motor.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Known problem - Holden Techline on it and all dealers will know about it.

Take it back... They need to replace the BCM as it drains the battery, update the computer and REPLACE the battery. Ensure the battery is replaced (put a small mark on it with liquid paper or something) as the VE batteries will never be fully functional once they've gone flat.

Had this happen on my VE Calais. Clubby is new enough not to have had the issue :D Although you say yours is only 6 months old so it could be something else as yours should be new enough not to have the problem also.

dale762308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V Series LPG
Same thing happpened to me, got them to replace battery under warranty with a high crank amp unit at no extra charge, they are the same price as the standard battery, cliamed to me that they put these in police cars where they run alot of acc (radio, lights etc).
Ever since then things have been good, mind you my battery went flat 3 times before they got the message that was not happy.

Void

Reaction score
Website
www.ipswichcarscene.com
Members Ride
Commodore VS V6 Manual
Cousin Slow Poke . sorry but ya wrong
tech line states that the battery being a CALLCIUM type must be charged for 24 hours. Thats its nothing about bcm's being replaced or anything like that.
We get at least 3 a week come in. what happened is they sat in the holding yards for some time and whent flat....... the Pre delivery jumps in a gives it a jump start and lets it fun for 30mins thinking yeah she's fine. Negative. The battery must be fully charged to the max once it has gone flat

I hope your battery charger was set up for callcium

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I know what the techline says and my dealer wanted my car overnight to charge the battery. I insisted on a new one :D

Replacing the BCM is also part of the earlier models.

ESS364

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks for the info....Your comment about the Calcium Battery charger got me looking for more info.

The following site mentiones the differences with Calcium batteries and explains why the charging voltage was so high from the alternator ie 14.7v.

Latest News

Looks like I was lucky my old charger worked at all and probably explains why it didn't work from the front terminals.

All worked ok today and by the time I got to work (45mins city driving) charge had gone up to 85% and has stayed there tonight. Will watch what happens over this week then take it back if it goes flat again.

(Might ask if they can turn off auto headlight feature now we heading to winter).

Anyone know what the standard current drain is on the battery in a VE when switched off?. I will check it this weekend and compare it with my other VX and VT Commodores just in case the BCM is an issue.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Nothing to help with the problem.....but why is the battery in the ve in the boot, ive read about six different reasons, is there an official reason, or is it just open to the most popular speculation?

Sorry to thread steal....

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
To move more weight from the front to the rear of the car for the the closest thing to 50:50 front:rear weight distribution Holden has ever acheived.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the BCM in early cars needs to be reflashed with updated software, the battery should only be replaced if it doesnt hold charge correctly after a 24 hour charge with a suitable charger capable of dealing with calcium batteries.
there are some other issues to look at regarding current draw but you will need to leave the car at least overnight to be checked.
it sounds like you know better than the dealers so theres no need to explain it is there.

Rob