Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

External transmssion cooler

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
hey guys,
after my radiator split i've been thinking about getting an external only tansmission cooler, only problem is no idea what to get/ how big etc.

was looking at this
Automatic Transmission OIL Cooler Heavy Duty BY PWR | eBay

it's 280 x 255mm over kill? or would i best be looking at getting a 280 x 200mm cooler?
any tips / what other people are running would be great

it's just for a 6 pot occasional towing and once every now and then long drives

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Go to the wreckers and rip off a factory one. Probably cost like 50 bucks max and have everything including brackets.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Go to the wreckers and rip off a factory one. Probably cost like 50 bucks max and have everything including brackets.
yeah, like he said. Also, you don't want to run your tranny too cool cos it is designed to run at a certain temp.. On my VP I think I have it running through the radiator cooler first and then into the external cooler. That's the way my local auto mechanics said to do it

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's the way Holden do it as well. Allows the trans temp to stay in a certain temp range and also helps heat it faster when it's cold.

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
hmm might have to try and get the thread matched on the hose adapters for the trans cooler in the radiator then, ><

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
The factory trans coolers on the VR are push type. Slide it on the barb and hose clamp done. VS was different I think.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
I stuck one in front of the radiator, just so I could see it though the grill on my VN.
I didn't worry about trans temp though. I went with the idea of the cooler the better.
I did bypass tbe factory transcooler in the radiator though. Mine was the Davis Craig one (V8 size)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I grabbed one of those PWR ones (the smaller 280 x 200 x 19mm) and put it in this Saturday gone, so far so good, it's a high quality piece of stacked plate kit. Comparatively the stock VS trans cooler is a heap of snot. Currently running an experiment bypassing the rad cooler but I have the cooler mounted against the radiator core using nylon mounts and thermal tape all round (which also cushions metal on metal) using an NTC sensor from work to monitor the temps in the centre and it's comfortably hovering around 75/80c. Reaches this temp as the engine reaches op temp.

The issue I've always had with fluid warming via the Commodore cooling system is the high pressure set-up sees the water temp (and therefore the rad temp) at 93 - 100c during normal operation. The traditional Holden trans cooler setup goes to the external cooler and then back to the rad then to the trans, so in some situations it negates any value-add the cooler has, 100c is just too hot for a poor 4L60E. Hell Holden didn't fix it's hapless cooling designs til the recent (2008?) VE redesign rad and fan system borrowed from others who shed light on the path. Also, since the blower went on my trans is seeing a lot more stress then before.

Not saying you should do what I'm doing, it is an experiment and if my trans goes pop it just means I'll have a manual in sooner than expected. That said I am surprised at the results so far and the tranny does seem to be a lot happier especially around TC lockups. Changing the fluid this weekend, fingers crossed I'll get more than 20k out of this batch before it's done.

smoknvr:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
as wraith said stick with the factory trans cooler...my acclaim has a heavy duty shift kitted trans and the trans shop by-passed the radiator straight to the trans cooler as it was fitted as part of the tow pack,and mate let me tell you ive had no issues with the trans,so as the old saying goes "if it aint broke,don't fix it".