Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HP Tuner for the LS1's

wantree

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my head around spending $1000 bucks to have my engine tuned for optimum performance.. I cast my mind back to my VB or VK where where you ensure it's jetted correctly and timed right and your as good as you can get with a good exhaust. Now I'm confronted with a barrier... I can't access this stuff without a tool.. being this LS1 edit or Hp tuner.. Now because of software licensing rules people can charge whatever the going rate is for what I see as being easier than what we had previous.. Before we searched for the lean miss and richened up a bid ect ect.. you could check your dizzy for the correct vacuum advance and or gap ect ect. Sorry I'm not trying to simplify an auduous task I'm just saying that the info is there laid out for you now rather than looking for symptoms by getting your hands dirty..
Anyway I've done a bit of research on these ECM software tools and am still up for $500 US for the HP tuner program which appears to be superior to LS1Edit. Thats for 2 reasons one being its friendliness and 2 being that once purchased it is not limited to 1 vehicle but one type and year.
So basically anyone with a 2001 VX LS1 like myself could use one package.
I'm in WA and am looking to form a small syndicate where we share our knowledge and coin to get our cars up to scratch. A few guys and a couple of hundred each should be able to get us where we want to be so I'm looking for anyone interested in at least exploring this option and getting in touch..
I'm not saying these guys tuning cars for 1 G don't know what their doing.. not for a second I just fell it's excessive and it's most likely due to their hourly rate only being a small fraction of our cost.. If we had the software we would be almost there.. Anyway thats my bitching and moaning over if there is anyone out there who thinks they might be interested send me an email at [email protected] and we can go from there..
CHRIS

235rwkw

Reaction score
youneed more than a program to tune a car. you need a widband, a dyno, logging software. all the time you spend gettting there you may wish you spent the 1K

efi live is supposed to be able to tune as wel,l soon or now

wantree

Reaction score
If you check out the Hp Tuner site in the US it appears all the logging tools ect is incorporated in the package. There is also a huge amount of traffic going through their forum giving detailed steps and tips on how to approach tuning an LS1. These motors are used far more widely over there and hence a much larger following.
There is alot of base tuning and settings that can be done without a dyno but altimately it will have to be finalised on one to get it perfect for sure..
The HP Tuner package for an 2001 LS1 motor is $500 U.S!! If it was half that I could justify purchasing it thats why I'm looking for anyone from Perth interested in going halvers or thirds or even quarts in it.. You see once one of our cars are set up all the experience and base figures can be uploaded to the next guy and then finalised on a dyno then so on and so forth.
I'm just testing the water thats all.. I'll most likely get impatient in the end.. haha..
CHRIS

vxchev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 CALAIS V8
HP tuners is a very good around package and if you have mates with the same year even better. It's even better if you have an auto so you can play with the shift points. If you have NO idea how to tune best stick with the professionals.

M

Mountain

I think you may find if you buy a hp tuner you can tune your car and one other of the same year model etc and thats it. You can't just buy one and use it on yours and all your mate's cars.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
EfilLive also has tuning software/hardware available & is a dream to use

Cheers Rob