Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt berlina,97. grinding noise in rear end

P

pebbles

we have recently purchased a 97, VT Berlina. It has a sort of grinding, whining noise in the rear when driven. Any ideas on what this may be?

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
It may be time to get your diff checked out

chippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive 3.8l s1, vs s ute 5.0l s3
rear brakes might be metal on metal check rear brake pads and replace them you might have to replace the rear disc aswell?????????

R

RKZ234

It could be a pad not releasing from the rotor and rubbing. If it is a grinding noise the pad may be down to metal and the noise you hear is the rotor being gouged by the pad (Not Good)

Otherwise it may be, the diff, or an IRS boot may be damaged and a foregin body may have got in.

Check all the wheel nuts are tight. (When I picked up a new Commodore work car not long ago, I got on the freeway within 3 km and noticed a very mild vibration and noise from the rear end. Did a U turn and had the car put on the hoist. As they went to take the rear wheels off, it was discovered that one wheel nut was missing!!! :ranting: Not happy Jan!!

If you have just bought it from a licenced dealer, take it back to get it fixed under warranty.

C

Camotec

I would say either the CV joint in the rear end or as stated before the diff might need to be inspected.

Cheers
Ben

P

pebbles

thanks everyone, i have it booked in for a thorough inspection today and will be getting it fixed under warranty if anything is needed. here's hoping that its nothing major.
It is great to drive, only picked it up yesterday.... :p

thanks again...Deb

R

RKZ234

pebbles said:
thanks everyone, i have it booked in for a thorough inspection today and will be getting it fixed under warranty if anything is needed. here's hoping that its nothing major.
It is great to drive, only picked it up yesterday.... :p

thanks again...Deb

It's a little disappointing that it wasn't picked up by the seller in a pre delivery check & road test before you picked it up. :confused: