Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

grinding noise when revs drop

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Could be a lifter, you replaced everything I could think of.

JamesSap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S pack s1
Timing chain is not something you would normally check when doing a LIM and they chains weren't common for going on these cars unless higher pressure lift was run on them. It's not so much the chain but the crappy tensioner and spring that holden chose to use. Decent poo job getting to it having to take off front cover. May as well do the balancer as this needs to be removed. Oil pump, water pump. Get a whole new front cover with gasket and seal. Decent price on the bay for em. When you doing all that you will wish you dropped a cam in afterwards. Cars are like a shredder for money and sore back and knuckles....let us know how you go.
Done a timing chain kit, wasn’t as bad as I expected. The job probably took me about 7 hours in total, getting to the chain is the hardest part by far. I could see immediately the old chain was stretched, and lo and behold a new timing kit got rid of the noise entirely. Now I’m chasing front end knocks while braking and rattling catalytic converters. The trouble with this car never ends!

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Done a timing chain kit, wasn’t as bad as I expected. The job probably took me about 7 hours in total, getting to the chain is the hardest part by far. I could see immediately the old chain was stretched, and lo and behold a new timing kit got rid of the noise entirely. Now I’m chasing front end knocks while braking and rattling catalytic converters. The trouble with this car never ends!

Have you installed the Radius Strut Kit on your car ? Almost mandatory due to the amount of additional movement you get when braking. Together with the plastic LIM gaskets, these should of formed part of a Class action against Holden. To think 15 plus years ago GM in the US stopped the plastic LIM and put out notices for it but here is Aus they kept using and still sell them so mechanics had work to do. Engine mounts, tie rod ends, sway bar links all contribute as well.

JamesSap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S pack s1

Have you installed the Radius Strut Kit on your car ? Almost mandatory due to the amount of additional movement you get when braking. Together with the plastic LIM gaskets, these should of formed part of a Class action against Holden. To think 15 plus years ago GM in the US stopped the plastic LIM and put out notices for it but here is Aus they kept using and still sell them so mechanics had work to do. Engine mounts, tie rod ends, sway bar links all contribute as well.
new engine mounts, sway bar bushing, radius rod bushing kit, all installed prior to the roadworthy. I have just finished replacing the springs and strut top mounts with SL king springs and new KYB top mounts. the passenger side top mount bearing was completely rooted, as I undid the rod nut the ball bearings started to rain out and they were covered in rust. once I pulled it down further the bearing was in pieces. after replacing these obviously worn components, the noise has gone away! no more clunk in the pedal or noise while braking. next up is a wheel alignment.