Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Standard climate controls to electronic, can it be done?

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Hey all,

As some of you may know, i have a Impulse blue SV6. Im in the process of changing the interior ove from the crappy exec spec silver plastic to the better quality black/satin chrome interior.
My question is can you change ova the standard climate control dials that are in executives, acclaims, SV6's etc to the electronic version that are in Berlina's, Calais etc? Can the VY electronic one be used in the VZ or is it a different system again?

Is it a strait swap or are there other steps involved?
Ive included a pic, so u know what im on about.

Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• 2007_0126car0001.JPG
    2007_0126car0001.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,656

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
This comes up a lot, and the answer is basically that yes it can be done, but very few people do because of the cost and complexity. Aside from the controls/facia the heater box is different I think, you may need a new BCM, there are tons of sensor etc and for the marginal benefit that is climate control (esp. single zone) it's hard to justify doing it.

Here is one old thread on it, there are tons more if you look around:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...2002-2004/32315-retrofit-climate-control.html

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Thanx Danja,
You answered my question

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
You're welcome.

I'm actually a little interested to know how difficult it would be to change single zone CC to dual zone :)

Off to the search!

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
I got from a guy on ebay that is selling these that it can be done but you need to purchase extra items to fit it facia, fuses etc but easy to do so he says.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
.... and you believe what an eBayer tells you?? ;)

Seriously, this has been discussed - yes the heater box it different, as the standard type uses vacuum solenoids to control temp and duct selection - the electronic control - not surprisingly - uses electric motor solenoids. You also need a different BCM, you need the climate control button panel obviously, you need a different centre console panel to accomodate the above control module, you'll probably need to buy the other console panels so they colour match with the new centre dash panel, you need an altogether different wiring harness, and you'll need to competely dismantle the dash to swap all the stuff over. It's a HUGE job, and would surely end up being VERY costly.

I wonder just how many VY/VZ dashes Mr eBay has had in pieces.... :unsure: For him to suggest that the job is "easy"..... I dunno about that.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

Seriously, this has been discussed - yes the heater box it different, as the standard type uses vacuum solenoids to control temp and duct selection - the electronic control - not surprisingly - uses electric motor solenoids. You also need a different BCM, you need the climate control button panel obviously, you need a different centre console panel to accomodate the above control module, you'll probably need to buy the other console panels so they colour match with the new centre dash panel, you need an altogether different wiring harness, and you'll need to competely dismantle the dash to swap all the stuff over. It's a HUGE job, and would surely end up being VERY costly.

I wonder just how many VY/VZ dashes Mr eBay has had in pieces.... :unsure: For him to suggest that the job is "easy"..... I dunno about that.

Hey Greg, happy NY :)

I don't suppose from your many adventures into dashboards you'd have any insight into the difference between single zone and dual zone climate control?

If it was just the heater box and control panel I might give it a shot, but if it was any more involved than that I don't think I'd be bothered.

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006

No need to bark down my throat about it :supersad: it was only an inquire I made as he is selling these modules and he more then likely didn't go into detail about it but he would supply everything that would be needed to make the conversion. I would say it would have been easy for him as he does alot of them I guess. The more I look into it the time, money and effort I think it is no longer worth doing so I may as well just have my center console match the rest of the car in satin.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I dont think Greg was barking per say, I'm sure he has alot of people who say the LED mods and AUX mods are easy too.

Basically Paul answer is no, we have standard air and thats that :thumbsup: