Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

jimmy_bob

not another hillbilly
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina V6
i hope not. i mean the cars not unroadworthy. i just thought that there were conditions. Like sitting at 3500rpm, standing two meters behind the exhaust with a decibel reader it had to be less then ??Db. Seriously, 80% of commodores have the same freakn exhaust setup i do.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
i hope not. i mean the cars not unroadworthy. i just thought that there were conditions. Like sitting at 3500rpm, standing two meters behind the exhaust with a decibel reader it had to be less then ??Db. Seriously, 80% of commodores have the same freakn exhaust setup i do.

A car with bald tyres is unroadworthy ;)

If it is infact deemed illegal, then 80% of commodores on the road are also unroadworthy ;)

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Yeah he pretty much just has to suspect your car is unroadworthy and he can slap you. Obviously the tyre is unroadworthy, and I would suspect if your car has no mufflers it will be over the 92 db or whatever the limit is.

As for the "Im just on my way to get the tyre replaced now officer". How many times do you think coppers hear that a day? I wouldn't believe a single person who said that to me.

Last edited:

jimmy_bob

not another hillbilly
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina V6
yeah i know. truth is i actually was going to stay at my girlfriends...BUT i had my car booked in for the next day! but i'm not worried about the tyres coz thats fixed, its the exhaust thats giving me the shits. might have to chuck a muffler on, get it passed, then take it off.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute

Limit is 90dB. 99% of aftermarket exhausts are not "legal" or "roadworthy" as far as decibel levels go. I had to put a stock V6 exhaust with BOTH mufflers onto my 5 litre a few months back, and it only passed by .4 of a decibel (89.6dB).

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Hi there,

I'll be getting my P's in the next couple of months and I'm starting to plan the mods that I want to do to my car (VT V6), but I don't want to run into any problems with the police and so on.

While I'm on my P's am I am able to make any changes to the exhaust?

Can I have a cat back system? Or can I do the extractors as well?

Any help would be good.

Cheers,

James

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
If your state has the rule of no modifications it means no modifications.
Sorry I should have stated, I'm in Victoria.

Most of my mates that have their P's have put a cat back system on their car...

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VN Commodore
anyting other than a snail or blower the jacks wont care about, i have a cat back system, stroked engine, cai, chip, LSD (soon to be spool), line locker and heavy duty brakes and i have been pulled over 5+ times this year and only got a defect for the exhaust being to loud.

Oh_Your_Blind

Green means 'Earth'!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Executive
Question: Whilst driving how does the speed gun in the car work whilst you drive? Does it make a noise if you pass a car speeding? Or does it tell you the speed of every car driving past?