Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Entrapment" of motorists

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You will need to elaborate on how that is entrapment?

Probably not great from a car enthusiast vs police relationship stand point, but just because you want to show your car at a show, doesn't mean it's magically legal to drive it on the road.

Also, given the cars being pulled up at the even are not allowed on the roads to start with, this means they obviously, the owners only take them to events and the like. Therefore applying for a club permit would be the legal means to get to and from the even OR simply tow the car there.

All rather simple really and not even close to being "entrapment".

Again, completely the choice of the car owners/drivers.

Finally, not sure what your comment in regards to motorists having a voice has to do with any of this. Yes they do, but one way or another, it will never be legal to drive an illegally modified car on the roads.

All that we can hope for, is that the laws dictating what is considered legal and illegal are amended, but I would not be holding my breath given the motoring community is not in favor with ANY of the major parties in politics.

Even less so given the attitude of the character in this video of playing the victim and promoting a negative attitude towards the police.

What about the case where police officers were issuing infringements to vehicles that were leaving a car show on trailers?

Cops have stated that they could defect basically any vehicle they choose, even fairly much brand new vehicles, yet they only seem to target motoring enthusiasts. Clearly shows bias.

I have known a number of police officers over the years, even flatted with some in my younger years, how ever, in my dealings with the police over the years I now have a rather negative view of them these days, I put that down to the interaction I have had with them or police/public interaction (or lack off) I have witnessed over the years. In my book, respect is earned, not something that is magically bestowed on you because you wear a particular uniform. I know some good cops and they have my respect, I
have also met plenty of others that certainly don't.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
What about the case where police officers were issuing infringements to vehicles that were leaving a car show on trailers?

Cops have stated that they could defect basically any vehicle they choose, even fairly much brand new vehicles, yet they only seem to target motoring enthusiasts. Clearly shows bias.

I have known a number of police officers over the years, even flatted with some in my younger years, how ever, in my dealings with the police over the years I now have a rather negative view of them these days, I put that down to the interaction I have had with them or police/public interaction (or lack off) I have witnessed over the years. In my book, respect is earned, not something that is magically bestowed on you because you wear a particular uniform. I know some good cops and they have my respect, I
have also met plenty of others that certainly don't.

Yep, that is totally unacceptable.

In regards to the "respect is earned" comment.

Not sure I agree with that. Given that to earn respect, it takes time usually as you get to know someone and based on their actions, they form a positive rapport with you on which you are able to judge their way of being as something that deserves respect.

Now, my interactions with a police officer usually last 30 seconds to a minute when I am being breath tested. After which I never see that individual again. So if they are to earn my respect, it would never happen.

I am respectful to the police because there is no gain from not being respectful. I have yet to experience a police officer not being respectful to me, so cannot comment on what I would do, but if I was in the wrong then I would probably suck it up and take it on the chin. Again, no point in getting worked up about it as I will never see the person again while they have the ability to make my life difficult if I play up.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Why is being respectful seen as synonomous with being civil and cooperative?

I don't admire perfect strangers, I don't even admire most of my aquantinces and friends but that doesn't prevent me treating them the same way I'd like to be treated.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
You will need to elaborate on how that is entrapment?

It's a trap!! Strictly not "entrapment" as used in the US as a legal defence to mitigate a guilty plea to a serious offence... that term for accusing the police of chicanery or fraud to commit the offence in the first place is not a direct legal defence in Australia AFAIK.

Finally, not sure what your comment in regards to motorists having a voice has to do with any of this. Yes they do, but one way or another, it will never be legal to drive an illegally modified car on the roads.

Sure, the QLD police are only doing their job, but seriously in life's scheme of things the allocation of scarce police resources vs the tangible benefit to the tax paying community is nothing but a filthy lucre aid to State revenue. A farcical show of antagonizing hubris rather than a defiant show of force against QLD citizens' most wanted criminals.

All that we can hope for, is that the laws dictating what is considered legal and illegal are amended, but I would not be holding my breath given the motoring community is not in favor with ANY of the major parties in politics.

Hoping won't get you there mate. BTW don't make blanket, unqualified statements about the political or other behaviour of motorists. That just underlines the negative attitude being rallied against in the video, and now in Canberra.
We can change law.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, that is totally unacceptable.

In regards to the "respect is earned" comment.

Not sure I agree with that. Given that to earn respect, it takes time usually as you get to know someone and based on their actions, they form a positive rapport with you on which you are able to judge their way of being as something that deserves respect.

Now, my interactions with a police officer usually last 30 seconds to a minute when I am being breath tested. After which I never see that individual again. So if they are to earn my respect, it would never happen.

I am respectful to the police because there is no gain from not being respectful. I have yet to experience a police officer not being respectful to me, so cannot comment on what I would do, but if I was in the wrong then I would probably suck it up and take it on the chin. Again, no point in getting worked up about it as I will never see the person again while they have the ability to make my life difficult if I play up.

Fair comment, I'd like to think that any police officer that approaches me gets the same amount of respect as any Joe citizen would and by that I mean that I'm polite and courteous, however when a copper opens his mouth and doesn't give me any respect and comes across as arrogant and not willing to listen to anything I have to say then that respect quickly goes out the window. Unfortunately there are a lot of coppers about who really are rather arrogant and really couldn't give a stuff what people say.......

Having said that, when I'm late for something because the coppers have decided to set up a checkpoint on a motorway on ramp during peak morning traffic causing a 10 minute delay then I'm not going to be to happy about it.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
All rather simple really and not even close to being "entrapment".

Yeah, not entrapment, just plain old being dicks though. Apparently there was a missing child near the Downshift meet and the defect station wouldn't spare even one officer to help the search within the meet, and there were a lot of officers.

Not pointing fingers here, but I always find a lot of the responses on these topics interesting. A lot of them are the typical "I would have done this in that kind of situation" or "I never do that" blah blah blah kind of thing. All of these answers have the advantage of retrospect. But if you'r travelling on an 80km/h long single lane road in the State Nasho with somebody plodding at 50 or 60 in front of you and no overtaking lanes, I find it hard to believe that the following driver would pull over for 5 minutes (only to catch up with them further down the road doing exactly the same thing, unless they smoke up as said before) or just wait. I know (which I base on absolutely nothing) that people say they would do a particular thing in that scenario, but do completely the opposite when actually presented with it.

And when I say people would act differently, Immortality pretty much hit it on the head. I see most people doing this:
Yes, I'll happily overtake a vehicle that is travelling below the speed limit, I'll do it such a way that it is done in a safe manner, that does't make me a dangerous driver or a tool.

Of course, now that we know what's happening, nobody will risk themselves now.

If the Police were really smart about this they would have just driven along at 50km/h without pulling over or cutting out in front of anybody. Probably what they'll do now.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
race on the track and ignore jerks on the road, it's the only way to be safe.

the story in the OP is pretty nasty stuff though, I know those roads and they are often used by weekend cruisers.

BUT, at the same time you get the crazy bikes that roll through the area at crazy high speeds.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
race on the track and ignore jerks on the road, it's the only way to be safe.

the story in the OP is pretty nasty stuff though, I know those roads and they are often used by weekend cruisers.

BUT, at the same time you get the crazy bikes that roll through the area at crazy high speeds.

Race on the track get defected as you leave. Winner.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Race on the track get defected as you leave. Winner.

if you have no defects you have nothing to worry about - or shouldn't.