Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Your attachment shows the same as 3rspecB's latest Australian maps version (p/n 84160883 v 30.12.10.11), so now I'm confused.
Mine have not been updated since purchasing the ute new in 2017 (I asked at each service and was told none available). Mind you, it was out of date from new and the satnav still directs me to drive across the old Stone Store bridge in Kerikeri despite it being demolished a decade ago.
I don’t think there is a separate NZ version for the maps the maps covers both AU and NZ as far as I am aware

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Ok, thanks tommy_z. Still trying to get my head around this. Would like to be able to inform the dealership what the correct part and version numbers for latest maps are when the ute gets its last free service in 3 months time.

@Cam-ralph was your mapping updated recently, during a service, or did you purchase your SV6 with that version already installed?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I don't see any difference between the other map version screenshots shown in this thread and my own.

The other thing is... there isn't the possibility the maps are auto-updated through telemetry? I ask this because occasionally I get a Disclaimer screen and OK button, and the maps do look a bit different. But speed limits shown are incorrect for where I am. North of Alice Springs, the speed limit is not Open/Delimited, but 130km/h. That change was made in 2017 or 2017 after a change of Government rolled back the open speed limit to the 130km/h tops.

Go-kart maps_radio ver ss_1.png

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I messaged Holden back in April who stated that there have been no updates to maps in the VF since 2017.

That's likely the correct state.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
My latest map shows as 84019565 so thats different to what is above.
I messaged Holden back in April who stated that there have been no updates to maps in the VF since 2017.
Have sent a general complaint to Fair Trading to see if they can help us, with a screenshot of the response from Holden and a quote from our manual that describes updates as being periodic...

A complaint to Fair Trading!?
Well, here's the question: are the maps proprietary to Holden (researched and developed in-house), or supplied by a third party to Holden? If by 3P, it has less to do with Holden and more to do with the supplier. There are unlikely to be any updates going forward in light of developments we are all aware of, namely GM killing off the brand completely. Eventually we'll all be using those fidgety little stick-on navigator devices (I had one in the VZ) and be asked $70 each update...

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Ok, thanks tommy_z. Still trying to get my head around this. Would like to be able to inform the dealership what the correct part and version numbers for latest maps are when the ute gets its last free service in 3 months time.

@Cam-ralph was your mapping updated recently, during a service, or did you purchase your SV6 with that version already installed?

Well it's Holden who really have no idea... Dealers think they have updates yet customer care states 2017 is the date of the maps. Headless chickens and they wonder why people stopped buying their product.

A complaint to Fair Trading!?
Well, here's the question: are the maps proprietary to Holden (researched and developed in-house), or supplied by a third party to Holden? If by 3P, it has less to do with Holden and more to do with the supplier. There are unlikely to be any updates going forward in light of developments we are all aware of, namely GM killing off the brand completely. Eventually we'll all be using those fidgety little stick-on navigator devices (I had one in the VZ) and be asked $70 each update...

Well yes... Who else can we complain to?
Holden customer care are brick walls and my experience is that the people there are clueless script readers.
In fact my response from customer care was to buy a phone holder and use my phone for maps. What sort of attitude is that. :oops:
It doesn't matter whether it's the third party or Holden's responsibility. We know from other posters on this forum that the map supplier still exists. So if Holden wanted to they can go via the Chevy way and let us owners deal with the third party and update via USB ourselves, or they can ask the third party to get a map update for dealers to load on during service. It all comes down to Holden. The principle argument being 'periodically' which clearly has not happened since we bought our cars.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tommy, Tommy, Tommy. Settle down, you'll blow a gasket. :rolleyes:
Meanwhile, I am waiting on a message from Holden way down south after I initially got hold of them by phone (which was quick) and was referred-on (which was VERY slow...). He said he was not familiar with the software and version numbers on the MyLink screen (!). Anyway, not drawing any conclusions at the moment until I hear back from them.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
...Meanwhile, I am waiting on a message from Holden way down south after I initially got hold of them by phone (which was quick) and was referred-on (which was VERY slow...). He said he was not familiar with the software and version numbers on the MyLink screen (!). Anyway, not drawing any conclusions at the moment until I hear back from them.
Don’t hold your breath for any real answers...

Been down that road with HCC trying to get clear answers as to who owns the underlying map data, what process is used to package into a form MyLink will accept, who does the packaging, and how often are updates are released. Also asked what forward release plans exist, how old is the map data is when the maps update is actually released, what is the product and version number for the map update, how does the product and version number change at each release, and finally why we can’t perform the map update ourselves as is the case for Chevy SS owners. The answer as a big.... wait for it.... we don’t know and map updates are released when they are released...

The whole process of discussion with HCC script junkies was like looking at a puzzled rabbit lit up with a spotlight.... their experts were no different... They didn’t know which way to run and hide... nor their arse from their elbow... My experience was that they were as useful as tits on a bull

As is, I believe the crux of the issue is likely the poor contracts that Holden signed with their chosen map provided. Some have said GM MyLink uses Here maps... Oddly, Navetq was US owned which started in 1985, later sold to Nokia in 2007 or 2012... later still it was then bought by German auto consortium and a few others... GM was not in the consortium... That would explain a lot... likely Holden or GM are not well supported (bare minimum of what the contract allows if that)...

But why should we customers have to suffer GM/H’s poor choice of providers... it was implied we’d get map updates, heck they indicated we’d get map updates in the paper work...

Rather than GM/H revisit map provider and releasing new MyLink software, we are simply strung along and told porkies...

The real problem with all these systems is that they are closed proprietary systems so we are dependant on the arsehats that control them, the car manufacturers...

We need to complain to the authorities forcefully, loudly and persistently so that the laws can be changed. That way in future, we may not be left high and dry the next time we buy a $70k GPS (
with the vehicle thrown in for free.... Yah, it’s a throw away quip but it seems to be how it’s considered as the manufacturers solution is to buy a new vehicle... just because you have a fcukn outdated map...

Anyway, enough of the rant.... it’s been a shitty day so excuse the vent :rolleyes: