Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

soft/low brake pedal

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Sorry Shane, I just don't know what tldr is.

Pete
Too long didn't read. But I said it in the sense asking for a condensed version so there is actually multiple meanings.

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Condensed Version: from start to hopfully nearly finished. A quick breakdown to where I am up to today...

Hi, I had a next to no pedal to start with after car sat for a few months.
Done VR master cylinder internal pistons seals (new), caliper piston seals also new on all 4 calipers, not alot better if any pedal wise.

Some times pedal would feel like it's getting better, but wasn't sure if my leg was getting tired pumping the pedal.
Pedal soft and spongy. Found some minor brake fluid leaks, remedied those.
VR booster making a woosh/hiss sound.

Since then, I've replaced the front brake hoses with new rubber ones.
Have upgraded to a VS booster and VT/VX master cylinder, just got to determine if it's a ( 1 inch) master?

Last night I found a weep/leak booster end resivoir - fluid port, which I'm in the process of fixing shortly.

Pete

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Evening people,

I've had the master resivoir off, cleaned the gromet seals, reseated them with a slight smear of red gasket goo. Also I've cleaned and installed the VS resivoir onto the master cylinder (finally), also with a slight smear of red gasket goo. Making sure it doesn't block any ports...

I'm leaving the gasket goo to go off, then I'll refill. I'll update in a night or so,

Cheers
Pete

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Evening people,

I've had the master resivoir off, cleaned the gromet seals, reseated them with a slight smear of red gasket goo. Also I've cleaned and installed the VS resivoir onto the master cylinder (finally), also with a slight smear of red gasket goo. Making sure it doesn't block any ports...

I'm leaving the gasket goo to go off, then I'll refill. I'll update in a night or so,

Cheers
Pete
I think you just made the problem worst, down the track?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi Lex, I think it should seal good.
I've used this method before, and for me it worked.

Pete

If it works great, but I have never heard of using gasket sealant on the rubber o rings inbetween the reserviour and main body before...To me and others, it seems like a receipe for another problem to crop up.

Honestly if it was me I'd be trying it without sealant and if it weeped again, I'd be buying new o rings....They're not that expensive

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it works great, but I have never heard of using gasket sealant on the rubber o rings inbetween the reserviour and main body before...To me and others, it seems like a receipe for another problem to crop up.

Honestly if it was me I'd be trying it without sealant and if it weeped again, I'd be buying new o rings....They're not that expensive
I'll see how it goes, and if need be I'll buy some new o ring / gromet seals.
Safe r brakes in Christchurch will be my go-to.

Pete