Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low-profile car ramp choices for VF

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I made a set of ramps when I was 16 and at some Gov tech training place that had started up. Don't know where they ended up, then around 12 years ago I bought a set of lowish steel ramps, and a few years later they disappeared from my mothers garage...... I still can't weld so won't be able to build a set....lol. I've thought those really long ones you drive right up with both front and back off the ground would be cool if you had a designated space to leave them set up.
Set up a pulley system, one for each ramp for when not in use.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
This is why I'm going to get a set of 70mm plastic ramps, just so there is enough room underneath to actuate the jack.
I have 2 trolley jacks. The first one (2.5t) the handle comes down to the ground. The second one (3t) the handle wont come down past the grille.

I think it would be easier with the drive up full car ramp to service the trans, diff. The engine, l dont have to get of the ground to change the oil & filter.

It maybe a lot easier to change engine mounts or trans mounts with the ramps?

I have had both cars up on stands then down then up, down , up, down (where was l up to, up or down? ;)) heaps of times when doing the 6L50 conversion. So, l'm a bit over the jack & stands senario now.

Everytime l have tried to use ramps, the car would just push them along, without driving up onto them.
I used to drill a hole into the concrete & stick a screw driver into the concrete, one for each ramp. It would stop the ramp from moving.

Anyway there are different tools for different jobs. Sometime you need a jack, sometimes you need the stands?;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyway there are different tools for different jobs. ;)
Agree, just like there are "different strokes, for different folks".... Some require long strokes, others, short strokes. hahahaha :D

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
From the links you posted, the hydraulic car ramps will set you back 1020GBP (= $1920AUD) with 120GBP delivered to London but they don't delivery down under via their website :rolleyes: And the quickjack will set you back $1550USD (= $2125AUD) but they are out of stock and probably don't deliver down under either :rolleyes:

A quickjack bl-7000slx from the www.quickjack.com.au website will set you back $3150AUD (shipping to major cities and towns included) :cool:

Home made tilting ramps are much cheaper but lack the cool factor :p:p:p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Or you just cut a hole in the slab and start digging.......

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Or you just cut a hole in the slab and start digging.......
Or low profile jack and 4 stands....

If you cannot remove all the wheels when the car is up I cannot see a point in spending coin

And whilst digging a hole is novel, working in a pit is a PITA, and the wheels are still not up

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
From the links you posted, the hydraulic car ramps will set you back 1020GBP (= $1920AUD) with 120GBP delivered to London but they don't delivery down under via their website :rolleyes: And the quickjack will set you back $1550USD (= $2125AUD) but they are out of stock and probably don't deliver down under either :rolleyes:

A quickjack bl-7000slx from the www.quickjack.com.au website will set you back $3150AUD (shipping to major cities and towns included) :cool:

Home made tilting ramps are much cheaper but lack the cool factor :p:p:p
I had adds coming up with jacks similar to the second ones that i'm sure were cheaper , but i'll be darned if they will pop up now i wanted to have a look. Those link's were just a quick google to find some different options

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yeah, that's what I thought I heard. Shame, because it would have been good if a cheaper alternative was out there; one that doesn't require a car trailer and a tech to install. If you don't have the height or width though I guess its a good option.
I’ve thought about getting a hero hoist. Not that expensive an option but TBH it’s really only gearbox work (ie the centreline of the car) that’s problematic when you use normal jack stands. I‘ll just pay a mechanic to do that kind of work as the need arises.

https://herohoistsqld.com.au/spider-2500-mini-scissor-lift/

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
used to drill a hole into the concrete & stick a screw driver into the concrete, one for each ramp. It would stop the ramp from moving.
Ha ha, how many holes did you end up with?