Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Selling R34 GTT for a SS?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
As for the rest, I don't think we have any solid evidence that 6.0L will be more reliable in a long run than 6.2L. My guess is that they would be about the same...
I think that if you had all the gear which shuts down half the cylinders on the 6.0 removed, it would likely be less potentially-troublesome than a stock 6.2.

However … by the time you pay that cost, you can probably do something to the 6.2 which gets rid of it’s problems.

I reckon it’s much-of-a-muchness, excepting the 6.0 is worth less now (so cheaper to buy now) but also won’t hold it’s value as well in the future.

Why

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GTT
Wow thanks guys for your inputs, did not expect to receive this much helpful tips.
I made up my mind on getting a SS so when i get my VF SS or SSV or even Redline, i'll happily post it here.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
My best tip when buying one is to test drive it immediately after cold start in the morning and listen to excessive rattling noise. Some of these suffer from excessive piston to bore clearance and make ratlling noise until warm....
I think some over emphasise cold piston slap as a fault and it isn't really with a performance engine of any kind. The tighter an engine is cold, the tighter it is hot with greater potential to nip up when you give it a flog. Looser engines make more power and piston only needs to keep the rings in contact with the bore. Piston slap hot is an issue or if it's excessively loud and rattly cold albeit not a perfect situation, I tend to agree with Holden that a little bit of piston slap noise when cold isn't a big deal.

My ute slaps ever so slightly I can hear with the radio off and rolling the throttle when taking off stone cold for 30 seconds but isn't really noticeable at idle to say the engine's rattly on cold start. I'm probably used to forged piston cold start rattles with 5 thou piston to bore clearance and they're a bit noisy until the engine warms up.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I think some over emphasise cold piston slap as a fault and it isn't really with a performance engine of any kind. The tighter an engine is cold, the tighter it is hot with greater potential to nip up when you give it a flog. Looser engines make more power and piston only needs to keep the rings in contact with the bore. Piston slap hot is an issue or if it's excessively loud and rattly cold albeit not a perfect situation, I tend to agree with Holden that a little bit of piston slap noise when cold isn't a big deal.

My ute slaps ever so slightly I can hear with the radio off and rolling the throttle when taking off stone cold for 30 seconds but isn't really noticeable at idle to say the engine's rattly on cold start. I'm probably used to forged piston cold start rattles with 5 thou piston to bore clearance and they're a bit noisy until the engine warms up.
Same here. Mine has a bit of piston slap for the first 30 seconds or so when started from clap cold. I’m not too concerned as it goes away shortly after starting it up. If it was making noises when hot that would be something to worry about.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
L77 has the flex-fuel sensor which allows you to run it on E85.
That is, if you're near a servo that has it.
Mine is currently 166.9c/L and E10 is $184c/L.
It does use a bit more but I'm happy to use fuel that's made here, renewable, less emissions and 107 octane.
For me it's win-win!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
It does use a bit more but I'm happy to use fuel that's made here, renewable, less emissions and 107 octane.
For me it's win-win!

E85 is 210.9 on Perth today.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
The piston slap thing is funny. If you are into mucking around with HP Tuners there is even a timing adder table dedicated solely to piston slap.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
For me it's win-win!
So E85 is pretty useless then unless you want to pay even more to run the car. Costs more per litre and you use a heap more of it.

I’ll stick with the LPG I’ve got in my SSV. About 110 octane and even though you use more it only costs $1.10/L.