Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric Commodores

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The same concept. No energy use going into building a new car with new metal and associated factory running costs of production. Take something old and do new things with it.

We do that now with most V8 builds. Why not go further.

Not to mention the batteries and motors being upcycled to be re-homed in an old car as part of a new project.

If anyone doubts this vehicles off road capabilities, it hoses a standard combustion vehicle off road. Its power consumption during off road use is low with regenerative breaking and traveling at slow speeds. Fuel consumption of other vehicles was quite high in comparison.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

If I had the coin, I’d love to start a business that does this stuff for Holdens and f f fff f fff f Fords.

Create a data base of scanned chassis for as many models as possible and then create bolt in kits and pre made looms for electric motors. No new holes. Use all existing structural mounts to bolt in an electric power train. Would go amazing.
Should have got a ute....
Wait? What?
:cool:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Something to keep in mind with Lithium batteries is the number of times they can recharged. Exceed that and efficiency drops away. Worse still is how many more fire we will see and the extra resources required to fight them. More fire fighters.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I like the concept of electric cars but batteries are the biggest portion of vehicle cost and are designed to be non repairable which leads to increased write offs from even minor crashes = higher insurance premiums so there goes the savings on petrol :confused:

Until there is a design methodology whereby the battery are repairable at a cell level And batteries and their control systems are replaced with newer components utilising newer tech, I’m not interested and will continue to consume dead dinosaurs :p

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
  • Alloys
  • Batteries
  • Chemistry/crystal sets
  • Drill bits, saw blades, and other machine tools
  • Dyes and pigments (cobalt blue)
  • Magnets
  • Some metal-on-metal hip implants
  • Tires
And socks:)

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I like the concept of electric cars but batteries are the biggest portion of vehicle cost and are designed to be non repairable which leads to increased write offs from even minor crashes = higher insurance premiums so there goes the savings on petrol :confused:

Until there is a design methodology whereby the battery are repairable at a cell level And batteries and their control systems are replaced with newer components utilising newer tech, I’m not interested and will continue to consume dead dinosaurs :p

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
There is a Chinese car manufacturer that have developed there ev's to have swappable/repairable/upgradable battery's swapped out at battery stations in a relatively short time or charged at home. Nio Electric Cars This seems a far more sensible idea

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
There is a Chinese car manufacturer that have developed there ev's to have swappable/repairable/upgradable battery's swapped out at battery stations in a relatively short time or charged at home. Nio Electric Cars This seems a far more sensible idea
I remember there was a lot of talk about that in the early days of EVs. The problem is that EV companies would have to agree to a standard battery design otherwise battery swap places would have to keep many different batteries for different manufacturers.

Companies don’t want to standardise as they can’t lock in their profits on a standardised product because anyone can make it to that standard. They all want proprietary products that only they can sell.