Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric Commodores

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
now I can see Why

there 3 percent Cobalt in Telsa batteries

What is the #1 use of cobalt?

Is cobalt harmful to humans?

Image result for what is cobalt used for

It can harm the eyes, skin, heart, and lungs. Exposure to cobalt may cause cancer. Workers may be harmed from exposure to cobalt and cobalt-containing products. The level of harm depends upon the dose, duration, and work being done

not very nice at all to anyone
Yes very harmful and it’s mostly being dug out by hand by men, women and children in the DRC.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-24/cobalt-mining-in-the-congo-green-energy/100802588

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
now I can see Why

there 3 percent Cobalt in Telsa batteries

What is the #1 use of cobalt?

Is cobalt harmful to humans?

Image result for what is cobalt used for

It can harm the eyes, skin, heart, and lungs. Exposure to cobalt may cause cancer. Workers may be harmed from exposure to cobalt and cobalt-containing products. The level of harm depends upon the dose, duration, and work being done

not very nice at all to anyone
So, um, is it radioactive? Should I be concerned if my kids are doing work experience at the nearby Cobalt mine? I have some cobalt blue socks, will these be harmful?

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
So, um, is it radioactive? Should I be concerned if my kids are doing work experience at the nearby Cobalt mine? I have some cobalt blue socks, will these be harmful?
Here is some more info on Cobalt
it is around us everywhere

But to go working on a Mine Site
Mining Cobalt that`s a bit different
been in the air
all Mines has some risks
hope this helps

Cobalt poisoning​

Cobalt chloride; Cobalt oxide; Cobalt sulfate
Cobalt is a naturally occurring element in the earth's crust. It is a very small part of our environment. Cobalt is a component of vitamin B12, which supports the production of red blood cells. Very small amounts are needed for animals and humans to stay healthy. Cobalt poisoning can occur when you are exposed to large amounts of it. There are three basic ways that cobalt can cause poisoning. You can swallow it, breathe it into your lungs, or have it come in constant contact with your skin.

Cobalt poisoning can also occur from the wear and tear of some cobalt/chromium metal-on-metal hip implants. This type of implant is an artificial hip socket that is created by fitting a metal ball into a metal cup. Sometimes, metal particles (cobalt) are released as the metal ball grinds against the metal cup when you walk. These metal particles (ions) can get released into the hip socket and sometimes the bloodstream, causing cobalt toxicity.

This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call the local emergency number or the local poison center .

Poisonous Ingredient​

Cobalt

Where Found​

Cobalt is a component of vitamin B12, an essential vitamin.
Cobalt is also found in:
  • Alloys
  • Batteries
  • Chemistry/crystal sets
  • Drill bits, saw blades, and other machine tools
  • Dyes and pigments (cobalt blue)
  • Magnets
  • Some metal-on-metal hip implants
  • Tires
Cobalt was once used as a stabilizer in beer foam. It caused a condition called "beer-drinker's heart," which resulted in heart muscle weakness.
This list may not be all inclusive.

Symptoms​

Usually you have to be exposed to high levels of cobalt for weeks to months to have symptoms. However, it is possible to have some symptoms if you swallow a large amount of cobalt at one time.
The most worrisome form of cobalt poisoning occurs when you breathe it into your lungs. This usually will only happen in industrial settings where large amounts of drilling, polishing, or other processes release fine particles containing cobalt into the air. Breathing in this cobalt dust can lead to chronic lung problems. If you breathe in this substance for long periods, you will likely develop breathing problems that are similar to asthma or pulmonary fibrosis, such as shortness of breath and decreased exercise tolerance.
Cobalt poisoning that occurs from constant contact with your skin will likely cause irritation and rashes that go away slowly.
Swallowing a large amount of absorbable cobalt at one time is very rare and is likely not very dangerous. It may cause nausea and vomiting. However, absorbing a large amount of cobalt over longer periods of time can lead to serious health problems, such as:
  • Cardiomyopathy (a problem where your heart becomes big and floppy and has problems pumping blood)
  • Deafness
  • Nerve problems
  • Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
  • Thickening of the blood
  • Thyroid problems
  • Vision problems

Home Care​

If you or someone you know has been exposed to cobalt, the first step is to leave the area and get fresh air. If cobalt came in contact with the skin, wash the area thoroughly.

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Yes these socks are harmful, put them out in the recycle bin and hope nobody notices. Nighttime would be best. Better still put them in someone elses bin.

Ignore what Mickcc says, your life is in danger.

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2

Sorry had to get back to answer your Questions

No it is made Radioactive
no your socks should not be harmful it been used as a Dye
and your Kids should be safe with the Mines Site PPE

Is cobalt stable or radioactive?

cobalt-60, radioactive isotope of cobalt used in industry and medicine. Cobalt-60 is the longest-lived radioactive isotope of cobalt, with a half-life of 5.27 years. It is produced by irradiating the stable isotope cobalt-59 with neutrons in a nuclear reactor.

Cheers
Mick

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d hate to imagine what breathing in the petrol fumes does to us as we fill up at the servo.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

If I had the coin, I’d love to start a business that does this stuff for Holdens and f f fff f fff f Fords.

Create a data base of scanned chassis for as many models as possible and then create bolt in kits and pre made looms for electric motors. No new holes. Use all existing structural mounts to bolt in an electric power train. Would go amazing.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would also set about creating new parts to replace so many consumable parts on Holdens. Clips etc and maybe panels.

It would be truly sustainable to get multiple lifetimes from our cars.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

If I had the coin, I’d love to start a business that does this stuff for Holdens and f f fff f fff f Fords.

Create a data base of scanned chassis for as many models as possible and then create bolt in kits and pre made looms for electric motors. No new holes. Use all existing structural mounts to bolt in an electric power train. Would go amazing.

This fella got someone out to scan his coupe for an IRS front end swap...According to his video, all older cars have slightly different points, hence having it done custom

Defiantely worth doing though