Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electric Commodores

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I remember there was a lot of talk about that in the early days of EVs. The problem is that EV companies would have to agree to a standard battery design otherwise battery swap places would have to keep many different batteries for different manufacturers.

Companies don’t want to standardise as they can’t lock in their profits on a standardised product because anyone can make it to that standard. They all want proprietary products that only they can sell.
Yes this is true but its early days. Hopefully governments wake up early and force compliance such as Apple converting to USB-C to save on phone charger waist.
EDIT: Maybe not using all the same battery but at least creating a standard where the battery is repairable/exchangeable

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Yes this is true but its early days. Hopefully governments wake up early and force compliance such as Apple converting to USB-C to save on phone charger waist.
EDIT: Maybe not using all the same battery but at least creating a standard where the battery is repairable/exchangeable

My observation is that companies start out doing things in a proprietary way, but eventually like to standardise things to mitigate their individual (company) risk. Set up a standards committee, and get them to publish a standard and that becomes the ‘best practice’. All hell can break loose after that and legally all the companies are shielded from litigation as they followed the ‘best practice’ at that time.

Standardisation seems to happen at a snail’s pace. Firstly, the charging connector (and protocol it uses) will become standardised but it might be several different standards (remember VHS vs Betamax, compact cassette vs 8-track, Compact flash vs SD…). Eventually one standard seems to win out.

I suspect that battery packs might also be standardised, or at least, the ‘format’ of the cells used within the pack will become standardised to allow an aftermarket rebuilding or reconditioning industry to develop.

There was a company (called Better Place) that did try to set up a standard battery pack for EVs and had rapid change stations that could swap a battery pack in minutes. The idea was to allow battery changing a bit like swapping a LPG gas bottle. They also proposed a rental scheme for the batteries - which also had the advantage of reducing the upfront cost of EVs. Essentially you’d buy the car (sans battery) and purchase a rental plan with Better Place.

Better Place went in to receivership during one of the numerous ebbs and tides of the ICE to EV transition cycles.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If standardisation happens it will be because of the Europeans. The EU is the only jurisdiction that has the balls (or isn’t corrupt af) to actually stand up to multinationals and tell them what to do.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
My observation is that companies start out doing things in a proprietary way, but eventually like to standardise things to mitigate their individual (company) risk. Set up a standards committee, and get them to publish a standard and that becomes the ‘best practice’. All hell can break loose after that and legally all the companies are shielded from litigation as they followed the ‘best practice’ at that time.

Standardisation seems to happen at a snail’s pace. Firstly, the charging connector (and protocol it uses) will become standardised but it might be several different standards (remember VHS vs Betamax, compact cassette vs 8-track, Compact flash vs SD…). Eventually one standard seems to win out.

I suspect that battery packs might also be standardised, or at least, the ‘format’ of the cells used within the pack will become standardised to allow an aftermarket rebuilding or reconditioning industry to develop.

There was a company (called Better Place) that did try to set up a standard battery pack for EVs and had rapid change stations that could swap a battery pack in minutes. The idea was to allow battery changing a bit like swapping a LPG gas bottle. They also proposed a rental scheme for the batteries - which also had the advantage of reducing the upfront cost of EVs. Essentially you’d buy the car (sans battery) and purchase a rental plan with Better Place.

Better Place went in to receivership during one of the numerous ebbs and tides of the ICE to EV transition cycles.
Standardisation only happens if it’s A) enforced by government or B) fought out in the gladiators arena and winner takes all. Companies don’t voluntarily get together and agree on a standard unless there’s coercion involved (economic or legal).

It’s not in their economic interests to agree on standardisation. Apple had to be dragged kicking and screaming to comply with the USB-C regulations and are still doing shitfuckery over it by limiting data transfer speeds over non-Apple USB-C cords to force users to buy their cords as data transfer isn’t regulated under the EU standard.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I made the battery pack for the ECOmodore (and also the aXcess hybrid car)! That’s all a very long time ago! Both vehicles used much the same core design but looked very different.
That's pretty cool to be part of a project like that... It's ashame that GM didn't invest more money into a potential EV made by Holden...

BTW, I realise this post I''m replying to is over a year old :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
There is a Chinese car manufacturer that have developed there ev's to have swappable/repairable/upgradable battery's swapped out at battery stations in a relatively short time or charged at home. Nio Electric Cars This seems a far more sensible idea
Great idea If they made these batteries packs to be removed by just pull it out and
just like swap and go for gas bottles all charged up
just push the charged one in and away you go

just like these Sci Fi movies with the power packs in their Space ships

but all Electric Cars would need the same Battery Packs

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Great idea If they made these batteries packs to be removed by just pull it out and
just like swap and go for gas bottles all charged up
just push the charged one in and away you go

just like these Sci Fi movies with the power packs in their Space ships

but all Electric Cars would need the same Battery Packs
This is exactly how Nio battery pack works. I dont think they all need to use the same battery packs as i recon this would stifle innovation and development of battery packs and restrict vehicle design. i can't see why you couldn't have a battery station that deals with all types of battery packs. Just like Tesla now allow other brands to use there supercharging infrastructure

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega