Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Both sides of the duopoly have been as bad as each other when it comes to graft and corruption. They have become too complacent in their duopoly status, which has now been challenged (at least federally anyway) by the record number of independents.

Here’s hoping the scare of more independents gets them to pull their heads in but I won’t hold my breath. The duopoly are already working hand in hand to change the electoral rules to make it harder for independents to win in future elections.
We need to get rid of career politicians. It’s not in their best interest to do what is right but rather to do what they can to be reelected to keep their snout in the trough.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As a person with 3 kids around this age I think I'm qualified to answer. Are you ******* nuts??? At that age they are into trying all sorts of things - different sports, hobbies, whatever. What is the best thing ever this week is completely forgotten next. Not a fkn chance in hell they are able to make such an important decision with any conviction at that age.

I have kids well over the age of 10 and when they were around that age, they were talking about this topic and knew a crud tonne more about it than I did.

So am I ******* nuts...You tell me, when they were talking to me about it over 16 years ago....

I am waiting for the grand kids to start talking about it...The eldest being 10....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I would say it depends on the child. Some are wise beyond their years, others, well they just aren't. But as with anything with children, they need adult supervision.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
We need to get rid of career politicians. It’s not in their best interest to do what is right but rather to do what they can to be reelected to keep their snout in the trough.

I think having term limits for all politicians (like the POTUS has) would probably be a good idea. If you can only serve two terms for example then it wouldn’t be possible to make a career out of being a politician.

Honestly at this point I think we would probably get better outcomes from government if seats were randomly appointed to people kind of like jury duty. Can’t be any worse than the current system that actively does what the people don’t want purely because “it’s the party line” or “because a lobbyist said so”.

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
I think having term limits for all politicians (like the POTUS has) would probably be a good idea. If you can only serve two terms for example then it wouldn’t be possible to make a career out of being a politician.

Honestly at this point I think we would probably get better outcomes from government if seats were randomly appointed to people kind of like jury duty. Can’t be any worse than the current system that actively does what the people don’t want purely because “it’s the party line” or “because a lobbyist said so”.

I think a minister that has a portfolio should have served x about of years in that industry, It could mean that people in charge might actually make reasonable decisions.
Seems like politicians just get given an industry to look after, But they have no clue about what to do

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I think a minister that has a portfolio should have served x about of years in that industry, It could mean that people in charge might actually make reasonable decisions.
Seems like politicians just get given an industry to look after, But they have no clue about what to do
It's not just ministers it's favourable jobs for favourable beaurocrats too.

Jerome Weimar in Victoria, didn't do a great job of V-Line. Didn't do a great job of Covid response. Was put in charge of the Commonwealth Games which was a fiscal flop, was paid out of his ~$500,000 salary and has now been handed a similar pay package to run the government's housing scheme. Which, so far is delivering very little again.

But he was loyal to the party and a good "yes man" so let's keep giving him hundreds of thousands of dollars to be the face of things which, going on his track record...fail.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

BIG difference between running a company and a government ministry.

One must deliver a profit for it's shareholders at all costs, the other doesn't but must instead ensure good quality service and still value for money.

Many business operators can't see past the "I must make a profit" focus.

Ministers are more like a board of directors, they set the goal(s)/target/vision, it is the people who actually run the ministry who must then achieve those.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
BIG difference between running a company and a government ministry.

One must deliver a profit for it's shareholders at all costs, the other doesn't but must instead ensure good quality service and still value for money.

Many business operators can't see past the "I must make a profit" focus.

Ministers are more like a board of directors, they set the goal(s)/target/vision, it is the people who actually run the ministry who must then achieve those.
Serving x years in an industry (i.e. gaining industry knowledge) is different to running a business with a greedy capitalist lense.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride