Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Teens get takeaway at fatal crash site

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It is the case for anybody *who has completed a first aid/CPR course* I believe. I have done the CPR course through my work, we were told that since we had the knowledge and certificate, it was our duty legally to offer assistance.

It is not legal duty to do it. In fact we were repeatedly told in our mil first aid training that there are 2 rules to providing medical assistance. Only provide it to other soldiers and never provide it to people you do not know.

While no one has been charged in Australia, people have attempted to be sued, one of which I Know. I seen what they went through thinking they did the right thing, only to have the family attempt to sue for failing in CPR attempts. That is enough for me to never render any assistance except for a call to police and to make sure the immediate area is safe. Under NO cirumstances will I get involved with any party involved int he accident, ever.

that also means under NO circumstance are you to stop giving CPR until an ambulance gets there, if your doing it for like 30mins and stop from exhaustion, you can be charged with murder, neglect etc. so why bother in first place, i have seen some messed up outcomes from these types of scenarios. I did first aid training for work, when your not at work and your walking around in public does not mean you must provide assistance, I have that knowledge for if a family, relative or friend is in need. So if you think im cold for not assisting, you better become my friend :) lol

Wrong, if you physically cannot go on, you can stop, if someone with the same training or higher comes along and takes over, you can stop. however, you can't just stop you must be able to prove exhaustion was the factor. You can also stop when a doctor pronounces the victim dead. You can also stop if the immediate area becomes too dangerous.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I find it rather disturbing to read so many people here say they wouldn't help someone involved in an accident. More than disturbing... downright disgusting.

Four weeks ago on a Saturday arvo I've pulled up at a red light. When I look up I see a person on a scooter do a flip through the air and land head first in the middle of the intersection. Was a woman in her 60's that had run up the back of a car while she clipped her husband who was on another scooter. I was at the front of the line of traffic so I was the first on the scene. The woman was in serious shock. Flailing around and everything. My role when I got to her was to try calm her down and make sure she didn't cause any more serious injury to herself. A few more people came onto the scene, one guy who was a first aid instructor so I let him take over. But at least I did what I could within my ability. The husband was the worst off as he was bleeding pretty bad. Left at least a litre or so of blood on the road. It was lucky that people stepped in to help stop the bleeding on the guy as the ambulance station located just two minutes away took 20 minutes to show up. By then the guy could have bled to death.
You didn't give CPR tho. No-one has said they wouldn't render assistance, in the case you said, the lady was walking around, so theres no chance of damaging her spinal cord.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
We were told that you perform it until one of four things happens: 1) they wake up. 2) the ambulance arrives, 3) you become exhausted, and 4) you have tried for 20 minutes with no results.

We were told it is only a 20% success rate with CPR, and as such if it has not revived them within 20 minutes then they are already brain damaged and doing damage to everything else in their body. You start to lose brain cells are something like 90 seconds without oxygen I think? After 20 minutes without oxygen they're fairly sure to have taken quite a lot of damage, and after 20min even the ambos give up.

The ambos can give up because they can pronounce someone dead. Once you start you CANNOT stop until you literally pass out.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Wrong, if you physically cannot go on, you can stop, if someone with the same training or higher comes along and takes over, you can stop. however, you can't just stop you must be able to prove exhaustion was the factor. You can also stop when a doctor pronounces the victim dead. You can also stop if the immediate area becomes too dangerous.

Are those the guidelines in the military, or government law for civilians?

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
well i failed CPR at school so i wont be saving your life, if im in my car ill turn on my amber lightbar and direct traffic or something, im helping them not get hit by another car.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Are those the guidelines in the military, or government law for civilians?

Our military training is the same training paramedics receive and is done so under the same federal guidelines as every other person. The only difference is we go beyond CPR and learn how to fix wounds such as sucking chest wounds etc.

pip78

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VT Commodore Wagon V6
i havent done a cpr course in ages. If i came across an accident i prob wouldnt know what to do and as people have said, a number of things can happen (ie you yourself (speaking in a general term) could be in shock, you dont know the condition of the people involved in the accident, you could be more of a hinderence than a help. What happens if the person is hiv positive or has aids/other diseases? Let the professionals handle it.....they have all the protective equipment. That being said tho i (as well as a lot of other people on here) would try my best and pull the person out of the car if it was on fire. In general though, I personally would rather not take the chance (especially seeing as i dont have 1st aid certificate) for fear of stuffing something up and causing more damage to the person(s)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Our military training is the same training paramedics receive and is done so under the same federal guidelines as every other person. The only difference is we go beyond CPR and learn how to fix wounds such as sucking chest wounds etc.

LOL @ chest sucking!

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
You didn't give CPR tho. No-one has said they wouldn't render assistance, in the case you said, the lady was walking around, so theres no chance of damaging her spinal cord.

No she wasn't walking around. I never said she was walking around. But I said she was in shock and flailing around. Problem was she couldn't get up she was trying too. Ambos too 20 minutes to get both her and her husband prep'ed, imobilised and onto the stretcher for fear of spinal injuries.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No she wasn't walking around. I never said she was walking around. But I said she was in shock and flailing around. Problem was she couldn't get up she was trying too. Ambos too 20 minutes to get both her and her husband prep'ed, imobilised and onto the stretcher for fear of spinal injuries.

i assumed flailing around ment walking around in shock.

Doesn't change the point tho, you didn't give CPR, you gave first aid. Theres a big difference, and thats what most people in this thread have said. There happy to give first aid, but NOT CPR.