Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 1500 klm compression check

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
Motor had 256 thou on it ,not terribly well looked after. Cylinder was only honed, deburred with a ridge reamer, precision engineering Hypatec flat top pistons, I reseated the Valves by hand, first attempt at a rebuild.I've done 1500 klms since I rebuilt the motor. Compression test is as follows on psi from cylinder 1 not in firing order....
The motor is fairly chewing the oil. 1.5 litres over the 1500 klms. No valve stem seals on the inlet valves. There Ferrea Valves and didn't have seals on them when I dismantled it or anywhere to put them. Thoughts?
Opinions please.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Motor had 256 thou on it ,not terribly well looked after. Cylinder was only honed, deburred with a ridge reamer, precision engineering Hypatec flat top pistons, I reseated the Valves by hand, first attempt at a rebuild.I've done 1500 klms since I rebuilt the motor. Compression test is as follows on psi from cylinder 1 not in firing order....
The motor is fairly chewing the oil. 1.5 litres over the 1500 klms. No valve stem seals on the inlet valves. There Ferrea Valves and didn't have seals on them when I dismantled it or anywhere to put them. Thoughts?
Opinions please.
I had a previous combo running without valve seals.
Used about 1.5l over about 7000kms.
So I would blame something else for your oil usage. Although; how tight were the stems to guides?

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't have much to compare them to, they seemed ok. When I placed one finger over the valve stem hole and withdrew the valves (clean no oil)the vacume was noticeable.
How long does it usually take the rings to bed in?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How did you bed in the new rings?

Put in some full mineral oil, fill the car full of heavy mates or better yet some fat bottom girls and go find some big hills, lock it in 2nd gear and get some load on those rings by driving up those big hills and then do what ever you do with fat bottom girls :D

It's probably a touch more variation than I'd like on the compression test but best to worst is about 10% difference which still isn't too bad although with new pistons and rings i'd like to see it more consistent.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Smoke on startup is usually caused by worn valve guides or valve stem seals. How long does it take to disappear?

If it smokes for a few minutes I'd be more inclined to say that it's an issue with rings sealing

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
where did you put all the ring gaps when you assembled the engine?? ive seen people line them all up so theres a direct space for oil to flow up from the crankcase instead of spreading all the gaps out like they should

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
where did you put all the ring gaps when you assembled the engine?? ive seen people line them all up so theres a direct space for oil to flow up from the crankcase instead of spreading all the gaps out like they should

Although I do set the rings apart during assembly, I really don't think it makes a difference. The rings turn during operation, so they can line up at anytime anyway.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, cam run in procedure with penrite running in oil. Fresh filter and penrite running in oil. 300 klm around town.fresh filter and penrite hpr 30 full mineral oil. 500klms in the new England ranges with a boot FULL of hand tools (heavy) and 2 blokes. Then 500klms town and highway use. Rings where aligned around so that none lined up and evenly spaced. Oil on startup isn't always present most of the time it's not there. When it is it either goes away quickly mostly, occasionally it lingers for a few revs.