Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

17" Simmons on VK - photos please

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
**** you guys have some **** laws when it comes to modifying cars.....

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Maybe people should just focus on the question asked instead. You'd think some people here are lawyers for the RTA (and people wonder why members on this site are dwindling, this thread is one prime example). If people want to run the (extremely minimal in this case) risk, then let them do it, just answer the damn question. Nobody would cop this kind of flack over a wheel thread if it was a VE.

OP, I know it's not really a picture, but you can use this to find out how the wheels will fit compared to your current setup - www.willtheyfit.com
It will give you millimetre accurate measurements about the dimensions of the wheel so you can measure them up.

Failing that you could ask for them to be photo shopped onto a VK in the photoshop section - https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/forums/photoshop.78/

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
all that is a crock...

the rule in Victoria was ALWAYS only +1 .. based on the MANUFACTURERS spec. NO VK Commodore ANY MODEL came with a standard 16" wheel!
period!
(beware that Vic police know this as I have been always been informed now and then by my next door and cousin who are Vicpol members (one at the Moorabbin traffic management unit).... despite what car clubs and social media say) HDT took advantage to go 16s ....but they does not allow you to go 16 +1!

HDT Commodore 16" wheels are NOT a factory option, never were, never will be, they were always a HDT option. The 16 inchers were supplied to GMH by HDT and if requested by the buyer fitted then .

so as I have previously stated, 17 inch (or larger wheels ) on any Commodore are unroadworthy in Vic .. and if my neighbour or cousin spot you with them and they are having a bad day.. they say so will you ! There is a but though....

If you have an engineers report for larger wheels. keep it in the car!

According to VSB14 which is the national code for modifications to light vehicles the tyre and wheel combination must not have a diameter greater than 15mm or be less than 26mm. There are also limits to how wide a rim can be and that is 1.3 times the width of the manufacturers rim and track is not to be increased by more than 25mm. Where two different size tyres are fitted front and rear the front tyres must be at least 70% of the rear tyres width. I would have thought that a national code would over rule a state code.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
According to VSB14 which is the national code for modifications to light vehicles the tyre and wheel combination must not have a diameter greater than 15mm or be less than 26mm. There are also limits to how wide a rim can be and that is 1.3 times the width of the manufacturers rim and track is not to be increased by more than 25mm. Where two different size tyres are fitted front and rear the front tyres must be at least 70% of the rear tyres width. I would have thought that a national code would over rule a state code.

As far as I am aware, the WA rules refer to/incorporate VSB14.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Queensland was the last state to sign up to VSB14 as far as I know which was good for me as I was able to get my 6 point cage passed under the old Qld Tpt rules jst before VSB14 came in.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
all that is a crock...

the rule in Victoria was ALWAYS only +1 .. based on the MANUFACTURERS spec. NO VK Commodore ANY MODEL came with a standard 16" wheel!
period!
(beware that Vic police know this as I have been always been informed now and then by my next door and cousin who are Vicpol members (one at the Moorabbin traffic management unit).... despite what car clubs and social media say) HDT took advantage to go 16s ....but they does not allow you to go 16 +1!

HDT Commodore 16" wheels are NOT a factory option, never were, never will be, they were always a HDT option. The 16 inchers were supplied to GMH by HDT and if requested by the buyer fitted then .

so as I have previously stated, 17 inch (or larger wheels ) on any Commodore are unroadworthy in Vic .. and if my neighbour or cousin spot you with them and they are having a bad day.. they say so will you ! There is a but though....

If you have an engineers report for larger wheels. keep it in the car!

I made a mis statement......It used to be 2" above the maximum optioned wheel for that model.....So in that case it used to be 18"....Even using your rule 16 +1 made a 17" legal.

Of course, that law no longer exists....The law now is, as long as the load rating of the tyre is equal or greater than the manufacturers original fitament.....The new wheel/tyre combination, doesn't exceed 15MM more than the largest optioned wheel tyre combination available for that model...The new combination doesn't foul any suspension components and finally the track isn't increased more than 26 MM more than the widest track available for that particular model.

Being in this industry, we MUST abide by the Australian standards for fitament of wheels and tyres....The state by state rulings haven't been in existance for 15 years (give or take 1 or 2 years)...So perhaps you might wish to speak to your cousin and neighbour about getting a copy of the national code for fitament of wheels and tyres....It is available for viewing at any tyre shop and then get back to us....Because that is what I must follow when fitting tyres and wheels upto cars.

This book covers every wheel/tyre combination for every Australian vehicle....Every tyre shop recieves an updated copy every year to cover new cars being produced or available new in this country, so new car owners and us tyre monkeys can legally fit aftermarket wheels and tyres to new cars

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So he could fit a 215 R17 tire as long as it has a suitable size side wall to fall withing the overall rolling diameter rule with the appropriate load rating.....

If you can find one

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Maybe people should just focus on the question asked instead. .

/

Hummmm...did.....Look at the first response....FWIW, this generally is the best way to know for sure, which wheel is suited to your car and your taste

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Hummmm...did.....Look at the first response....FWIW, this generally is the best way to know for sure, which wheel is suited to your car and your taste

Not really, you just told him to go to a tyre shop. Did you have the picture he asked for? How many tyre shops do you know that just have Simmons sitting on the shelf? Picture is less dicking around and less wasting of a tyre shop and OP's time.