Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 clubsport y series 2

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Poor vacuum is the side effect of having a bigger cam, you need something like this:
RPCR9970.jpg

https://shop.rocketindustries.com.au/products/RPCR9970

I do know a rocket industries supplier - I can get a price?

JacksHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Clubsport Y series 2
Thanks mate, if you could get a price that would be great. Do these just give extra vacuum to brakes?
I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full lol.

JacksHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, I'm actually thinking it might have less to do with vacuum and more to do with my power steering pump requiring too much power at full lock when idling. Currently looking into it...Turn one sell pumps that say they require less pressure. Not to fussed really. Ill get used to getting revs up.

Last edited:

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Thanks mate, if you could get a price that would be great. Do these just give extra vacuum to brakes?
I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full lol.

Yeah I got the inbox full message just then. This thing just helps with the brakes - I'm going to get one myself as my brakes have been fairly average ever since I put the cam in

JacksHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've decided a 25% under drive pulley would reduce strain on the engine from the PS pump and probably solve the problem. Regret not getting one with the cam now but I'll hold off until I get the head work done.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
cam overlap is the killer for vacuum thus decreasing your braking (pedal force) ability, you would benefit from a vacuum reservoir as ONO said

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I've decided a 25% under drive pulley would reduce strain on the engine from the PS pump and probably solve the problem. Regret not getting one with the cam now but I'll hold off until I get the head work done.

Running a 25% U/D balancer will drive the power steering 25% less wich will make your steering even heavier.
Like "one and only2004" said you most likely don't have enough vacuum which is a by product of bigger cams.
U/D balancers help more when you have lowered the diff gearing and the engine is running higher revs at any given speed, the U/D balancer runs the ancilliaries at a speed more like when running std diff ratio.

JacksHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea, vacuum is definitely effecting brakes, but the stalling happens when steering wheel is as full lock. That's why I'm thinking the PS pump requires too much power at such high pressure. My thinking was that with the PS pump stealing less power, it will be heavier but won't stall. This makes sense to me, please tell me if I'm wrong, it's definitely possible! Ha

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
ok it seems to me that when you go full lock and the car stalls the PS is robbing to much power from the engine and because you have low vacuum this would have an effect on this somewhat and makes it easier to stall, try not to steer to full lock or give it some revs before you do

I just realised this is exactly what you know already....lol

JacksHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Aha, yea thanks Munz. I've definitely been trying to keep revs up(even though it makes me seem really obnoxious ;p), just difficult when doing tight reverse parks(foot tends to prefer the brake). Maybe I need to do the "3 foot mod" and get someone to sew another leg to my body. Ha