Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 VE Commdore SS suspension knock

Pug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
RiCeY

I have finally jacked my car and the rubber disc on top of the strut now hits the body of the car. I take it when this happens the upper bushing has collapsed? Are these hard to replaced and what sort of price should I be looking at to replace them?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
How much travel is there? 10mm 30mm?

Pug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Travels about 5mm but is noticeable when you jack the car.

If this isn't the problem don't know what to look at next? Have replaced the sway bar D bushings and links with no change. Could it be the shockies themselves that need replacing?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
5mm prob not worth changing.

Pug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Sorry re-measured got 8mm.

Got any ideas what it could be if not the upper bushing/mount?

Last edited:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Whats the issue exactly? Is there rubber discs between the bottom of the front springs and the strut?

Shiny Alex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Well just say it's on the internet because it's such a common issue with VE's.

Exactly what I said lol,

Took the car in and the guy this morning was much better, turns out it was road metal and tar stuck in the springs and the sway bar links were out and a bit loose. So all cleaned and tightened up.
He also look at the strut tops and like you said they're a bit poop but not bad and recommended upgrading them the same time I get it lowered. He also said not to bother buying from the as they'll stick their mark up on it, which I thought was quite good.

So looking on Ebay is this what I should go for? Super Pro Holden VR VS VT VU VX VY VZ VE Front/Top POLYU' Strut Mounts Commodore | eBay

NOLATHANE SUSPENSION COMMODORE STRUT MOUNTS SUIT VR VS VT VX VU VX VZ VE WH WK | eBay

Pug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
The issue is that there is a metal rattle when I hit bumps? Thought it was the sway bar bushings and links. Replaced them with no chanbge. No there does not appear to be any rubber discs between the lower spring and the strut.
Whats the issue exactly? Is there rubber discs between the bottom of the front springs and the strut?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Lack of spring insulators could be the problem and causes the noise you describe.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Ricey, were spring insulators standard on all ve's or were they added in one of the running revisions? I didn't see them on mine either. And should they be top and bottom?