Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300k on one set of struts?

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
As said new shocks and stut top mounts /bearing, re-use other items if ok. From $300 to $350 , you won't know the ride after. As said standard shocks and most after market ones will last about 100k ,maybe 150k .
Bilsteins will last 250k + and then rebuildable but they are a sports performance shock , not cheap as an initial outlay and not really the sort of shock for normal ,comfort, cruising road driving.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks all. So I decided on KYB's from Sparesbox ( unless similar prices pickup Adelaide ? )
Just because I have never taken out a strut before I don't know how to tell if the top mounts need replacing, they look good under the cap :)
Also I can see I need new boots as one is ripped. So I need everything? I am not sure where the bump stops go or if they are even on the OE?
I want all parts before I remove the old. Need to buy spring compressors too, more $

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
The bump stops lock into the top spring seat or strut shaft.
If you're never changed anything in this area the top strut mounts will definitely need replacing . I'd be surprised if bearings even looking good once you pull it apart.
Just taken mine out , they still look alright until you put them next to new ones and then you can easily see the compression of the old ones and they've only done 99k.
And that's if the center metal bush in them hasn't started to tear away .
Replacing struts is relatively easy , unclip brake line , abs line , undo two bottom bolts , sway bar link and then top nut , remove , install spring compressors , undo top mount, disassemble, install new parts on new struts along with any good condition reusable parts and reinstall in car in reverse order .

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Replacing struts is relatively easy ,
I am sure it is simple. The hardest part for me will be speed of fix if I don't have everything at hand and I need the car the same day- and getting by without buying an impact wrench and new impact sockets because I do not have a vise.

Investment looking like

1. KYB Shocks $240
2. Strut tops and bearings Nolathane? $180
3. Boots $ not sure of part
4. Spring tensioners $70
5. Bump stops $ not sure of part
6. Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2 inch impact skin $375 oops

See, expensive task

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've done several sets of struts and never used an rattle gun, and don't remember putting them in the vice either.
Why do you need a rattle gun or vice for this job?
The one trick that may help you avoid the need for either of them is to loosen both the top nuts in each strut before you jack the car up and start working on the bottom half.
Then all you need is a big ring spanner and a socket set.

Another thing you might like to consider, if you are going to be buying struts, bearings, tops and bump stops is you might as well go one step further and buy new springs as well.
Then you or a local shop can assemble them complete before you remove old struts from car. Then just throw the old one over your shoulder, bolt new unit in place, reconnect brakes and sway bar and put the wheel back on. Just Depends on budget. That way you can spend the money you would spend buying compressors on a mechanic assembling your struts. OR, I've seen some struts sold fully assembled. That would be ideal as the assembly is already done, and free

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
There's a great idea but I don't see many places advertising this.
I figure those nuts and bolts will be really hard to get off without an impact wrench ( you are not helping me get my toy by this line of questioning )

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
LOL, don't talk to me about home rattle guns, at least now air driven ones. If your gonna get one get a cordless battery one like Milwaukee, Dewalt etc. I wish I did but I bought a compressor and the gun that came with it can't even undo wheel nuts!! Doh.
But really, you don't need it. All I did was go down the local markets, bought an old deep ring spanner the right size, 15/16 I think?? And Bingo.
Total of $7 spent :)

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well I just saved you $438 ;)