Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300k on one set of struts?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Oh dear, Lout you need new shocks too!
Your body weight is probably 80 kg so is nearly nothing compared to the weight of your car. Now imagine you are braking and turning as well and the amount of weight now increases even more due to the laws of physics. Then suddenly your wife hits a bump and a puddle and whoops no traction and she's up the gutter and crashes into a ( don't want to finish that story as it probably won't have a nice ending).

Stop putting your wife at risk mate. Holden shocks do NOT last 300,000ks. The best shocks in the world might last 300 thousand but I can tell you Holden do NOT use the best in the world.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Interesting.
There's always an opposite opinion.

The shocks might come in at $300 but those accessories ( I am unsure of the terms atm ) cost more, the bump stops and what have you. KYB also have some protection assembly don't they, I don't know what to get to know how to price it

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi guys
I need to replace my outer tie rod ends and rack boots, I will be doing myself, all good. Of course I need to wheel align. Should I also do struts at the same time, they have done 300k , that's 300 thousand kilometers :) I know this because I bought this car brand new.
Funny thing is I really don't feel it is affecting the drive at present. I did have one of those Pedders safety checks 2 years ago and they said yeah it's leaking , needs replacing, like yeah, they would say that. Honestly it aint noticeable on road,.
What to do/...

I recently replaced the shocks in the front of my VC.....Not sure of the kays on them at the time I replaced them.. Strange thing was, I felt the car drove beautifully and the tyres showed no signs of worn shocks....The only reason I replaced them is, I passed a workmate on a rough section of road and they said to me, my right front wheel was bouncing off the ground at 90 KPH.....

Make of this what you will

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
Like vc commodore l didn't notice the difference in my front shocks, except maybe when hitting the brakes. It would nose dive a bit.
When replacing mine, l also replaced strut tops & bearings. While struts where out, l fitted a strut brace.
After taking my struts out l noticed they both had been leaking. The strut tops & bearings where stuffed. I also noticed link pins rubbers where shot. Got them from Bursons $28.00

The link greenacc struts don't have the dust covers but has bump stops. This link does have dust covers but no bump stops. https://www.ebay.com.au/p/2-VR-VS-V...ore-Shock-Absorber-Sedan-Wagon-Ute/1688995271 They appear to be the the ones l bought, except l got bump stops.
The cost of all parts & spring compressor + alignment = about $363.00

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I replaced mine with KYB this time and last time and I can't for the life of me get the rubber boots to stay on, as soon as I jack the car up for any reason off they come, they just pull away from the plastic ring. I doubt I will buy them again. I prefer the ties used on the Monroes, never had a problem with them.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I wouldn't bother replacing bump stops unless yours are already smashed. Same goes for the boots, if not broken just reuse.
Most Important parts are struts, strut tops and top bearings.
I used to think the same as you guys, I don't need new struts I thought. Then I bit the bullet and put a full set of Pedders - gas sports ryder in back and comfort gas up front just before a trip to QLD. That was the most enjoyable drive of my life!! Holy crap was I wrong thinking my absolutely fucked up old shocks were still OK!
Enjoy the difference guys, and your safety!