Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60E service

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
as slundy has meantioned, u can get em cheaper, i got mine for $207 bout 6months ago.

the best thing about taking it to an trans joint, is they should take it for a spin, with u, to see how the box is performing n if he thinks it may need any more done to it, as u dont wanna have the thing **** itself. in fact, with the shift kit installed, becoz the shifts are quicker, less heat is generated and u can actually lengthen ur boxes life. ring around and see who will install em, some joints dont like em, some swear by em. ring n ask n ask n ask, dont be afraid to rattle there brains.. most of the time, the ones that take the time to answer ur Q's, generally are the best to go with.. MAKE SURE THEY GIVE U SOME WARRANTY!!

i do believe that the transgo kit doesnt actually increase line pressure (could be wrong) so ur not putting extra strain on ur internals, most of the transgo kit is stronger springs, firmer push, firmer shift.

with the VT up, im not 100% sure, i think it was the VY or VZ that the ecu still tries to keep the shifts the same, even if u install a shiftkit, it will try to reduce shift firmness... i could be talking **** now! :D

bit of info for ya, hope it points u in the right direction!

and3rs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6
just out of curiousity what brand of kit did u go with ephect? i think im just gonna go with transgo coz its the most available one ive found and sounds very reliable i havnt seen any B&M kits around.
and also was there a huge reduction in shift overlap with your kit? I've been in my cuz's vs wagon with a stage 2 shift kit and the 1 - 2 shift is virtually instant..very little loss of power. can u relate to that with your VT ephect?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
and3rs, i have a VS :D as far as havin the kit installed is different kettle of fish. I got my auto rebuilt not long ago, and wanted the transgo stage 2 kit and corvette servo done at the same time. Tom, said "i can do it, but u wont have ur 2years warranty with the rebuild", he ended up dropping in some heavier kavlar bands. and i just went with the 2nd corvette servo, which only effects the 1-2 gear change. and yes its instant! im about a year and a half off the end of my warranty period, n soon as its over, the full kit is in!

go with the transgo kit, widely available and mostly used. u'll find u wont have a drama with ur VT Trans, best to speak to an expert n sus it out. make sure they check out ur auto, making sure nothings on its way out. best to get it all done at the same time, and u'll save on labour in the end :)

clear as mud? :p hope it helps

and3rs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6
cheers for that info mate, i was a little out of it last night haha i did'nt think to just look to the right of ur post to see the the VSII lol. anyway that makes it a definate, shift kit is going in next pay day and ill just get em to service the box and sus out all the internals while there in there;)
should be sweet:D

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
Would it be better to buy the transgo kit, and ask the shop to put it in WITH stronger bands 2nd servo ect. ? would most shop owners be a bit iffy about doing this? rather than sell me their own priced shift kit and install it themselfs?

Also, whats the go with tranny coolers these days? i hear heaps of good feedback on turbo cars ect. is it worth getting a bigger/better cooler with a electric fan on it?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
all depends on what the shop's kit has in the kit. some of them may cost around $100 but it wont have all the springs or wont include some valves. best to have a chat with one n find out what brand of kit they use, whats included in the kit, and maybe read up on what exactly the transgo kit comes with so u can compare. i would ask for stronger bands as they'll last longer. most shop's will install a kit that u have purchased, some will tell u to go get stuffed. all comes down to the place u chose :)

trans coolers are a must, will ensure the longivity of ur auto! if u dont have one or have one thats intergrated with ur radiator, get an external one. especially if u do a fair bit of spirited driving :yeah: dont stress too much with a cooler with a fan attached, no really necessary, but it will never hurt having one either.

Toms 50th Ani

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT executive 50th Aniversary
I got my transgo S2 and corvette servo waiting to get installed into my vt S1. By the sounds of the feedback here, it seems to have been a very well spent upgrade :D

Only thing thats holding me back to install it is the price :S I'm also after the tranny to get serviced and one shop quoted $175 + extra time for shiftkit. does that sound right to anyone?

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
and3rs: you should feel my box mate, it just changes from 1-2 before you can blink.

don0xer: VS (or VT) and up have a trans cooler as standard. And the transgo kit with kevlar bands and a larger 1-2 servo would hande anything you throw at it.

and3rs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6
haha nice, thats what im after:D what would a couple of kevlar bands set me back? do most auto shops stock them? and finally what is a good installation price. i've heard of a few blokes on here getting em installed for $160.
"toms 50th" id be asking the mechanic you were talking to what kind of expirience he has installing shift kits 175+ overtime sounds to me like he hasnt installed 2 mANY..

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
r/1/2 and 3/4 bands will set you back about $400. Around $200 if you only want to do the 3/4's. (rough prices only so dont quote me on them) install would be cheap as chips if you can pull the box out yourself. (took me about 2 hours) i am still not running a shift kit and i will have a way better shift after my tuning problems are sorted out. Damn anti abuse wont let me manual shift.