Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra was a failure? So why was the Volvo XC90 a "success"?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
oh you're one of those people.

all govts in all countries provide incentives to automakers.

GMH were not failing, but they were a bit lazy.

Another add on to this....The workers demanding high wages.....Helps with the bottom line cost of a vehicle. Holden were screwing the suppliers to base price cost for their parts.....I saw a few suppliers go broke trying to keep the company happy.

The company also put newbies on the arvo shift.....this was the shift that had all the penality rates applied to it.

There are also other "perks" that workers got from the company, in the form of money.....

So in one sense, it was partly the workers (or unions), that helped with the demise of car manufacturing in this country....which I think is a great shame.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
On what basis do you say the Adventra was a failure? It exceeded it's projected volumes, engineering was done on a shoe string and production tooling cost bugger all with it all going down the same production line as every other Commodore variant of the time. Make no mistake, each and every one made GM a bomb of money. All the engineering was virtually complete for the VE version when GM butt####ed Holden cancelling all the NA variants of Zeta (save the Camaro) but leaving Holden with the massive R&D cost.

The Zeta platoform was engineered as a RHD/LHD RWD/AWD platform from the get-go with AWD Buicks, Pontiacs and Chevrolet's planned. With a combination of internal GM incompetence and the GFC Holden was systemically ####ed over which started from when Hannenburger was pushed out of his job (at which he totally excelled) because Holden were making money hand over fist and Rencen started to take notice. 'mericans being the know alls they are decided they could do better, sent Pete back to Germany into early retirement and the decline of Holden started in earnest.

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
Good thing Pir4te aint here anymore,lol

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
maybe more drivers with there heads up their arses (Volvo) and bowling hats on the rear parcel shelf

Dezzle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX8 Adventra
I've briefly driven a XC90, an Audi "allroad" and a Territory.

The Audi was good, the XC90....ok and the Territory crap.
Over all of them, I'd still much rather my Adventra...........any day of the week.

Although I could've afforded much newer and more expensive cars, I specifically went looking for the best Adventra I could find at the time.

A better stereo, an OTR, tune and exhaust and Adventra's are really great.

The only one thing that possibly could be better in an Adventra (the V8 anyway) is a better transmission.......it is a little clunky.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Look at the market, Volvo is sold worldwide, it was more "successful" because it sold more units. The Adventra was only ever sold in Australia? How can the 27 people in Australia compete with the world market? It's all a numbers game. Make a little bit of money on a lot of units and you will stay in business, try and make a squillion on 3 units and you will soon lose your market share.