Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on building some SPL sub boxes

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah jigsaw blades like to bend with 25mm+ MDF, especially when cutting circles.

Great job by you and your Dad so far :)

I'd just run a bead of silicone around the port where it meets the MDF on the inside / outside. Atleast you'll be able to remove the port and shorten / lengthen without too much trouble.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I certainly hope so, I'm entering a category that has a max of 1500wrms and I only have 1400wmrs, I'm just hoping that a purpose built SPL box with give me an edge.

My dad was gluing the box together today, but ran out of glue with one panel to go :bang: , so I'll get some more wood glue tomorrow. Depending how early I get out of work, I'm hoping to get the inside corners rounded tomorrow with the resin and talc stuff.

Does anyone know of any product that body filler doesn't stick too? I want to make a mound shape on the ports so that the box 'comes out' too the port, volcano style, and I was just going to use body filler around the ports but I want the ports to be removable so I can't have the body filler sticking to the ports.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
OK some progress, but I have good news and bad news:

Good news is that box is glued and screwed together.
snc00369.jpg

Bad news is that it is roughly two inches too large to get in my boot :bang:

snc00366.jpg
snc00367.jpg

I'm going to see if I can remove the boot lid rail/bar/whatever to give me enough room, problem is that there are 4 screws on the parcel shelf.......below Dynamat. Oh and I have tried removing the boot flooring and the boot scuff panel to give me extra room, no go.

Last edited:

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Bad luck that suck aye, ive done this once, i now know the limit on how wide is the maximum i can go..

Mite have to make the side walls sit flush with the L7 cut outs, get that lil bit of gap back.

Bet ur spewing, all this work for sumfink that wont fit.

Back seat trials???

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
OK new plan of attack, I'm going to just cut the damn box in half and add new walls to the sides. Now this will kill the front baffle but we can make some new ones, sine those ports marginally overlap it will probably be ripped by the saw. Now that leaves me without enough room for the 6" ports :supersad:, but what if I use 2 4" ports per sub?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm going to have a crack at building a new single box today, and maybe another tomorrow, I probably won't have enough wood for two but for the panel that miss out, 2 sheets of 12mm or 16mm MDF glued together will be just as strong right?

I'm going 400 x 500 x 525mm with two 4" ports, to make a box with a Vb of 2.437cu.ft . This is pretty much identical to the last box, only change is that the 2 4" ports will have slightly less volume than a single 6".

Also if I get a chance today or tomorrow I'll slam that big box in the back seat and hook it up and see how it would of performed.

Anyway time to see if woodworking skills are hereditary.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
OK so I have made one boxes panel today, ironically my panels fitted together better than my dads one did, and yes I have gloated to him, part of the father/son relationship.

Not glued or screwed together yet, also have to cut baffle holes out. Not bad for my first real woodworking project.
snc00376d.jpg
snc00377a.jpg

This is how close I came to losing a finger today, a brand new ripping bandsaw blade, cuts through my 25mm MDF like paper, no joke. I tried cutting my PVC pipe but the blade just shattered the pipe and drew my hand closer because I was holding the pipe hard and it drew the pipe in. The cut is nothing, just showing how close before I could pull my hand back, it happened in milliseconds. I also found most of the pipe pieces about 4 metres away later.
snc00378.jpg

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Shame about the box width......ive done that before :bang:

New single boxes look good.....if you need to, put the 6" port on the sides (firing at the rear quarter panels).

Yeah cutting PVC can be a pain, especially 6" stuff.....10" is even worse.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I've found a new method for cutting PVC pipe, angle grinder, cuts through it like butter.

Don't think the 6" pipe will work, there would only be about 2" between the pipes and the side of the boot. Two 4" ports will still work good won't they?

Yeah I could imagine working with 10" pipe, must test your patience a little.