Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Advice on buying a Commodore

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
The vic roads site give you the details you need with the VIN number.

hey? all you need for the check is the number plate and vic roads tell you everything

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
2005vzute, did you just try and tell me that company cars dont get trashed? im still trying to work out of thats a joke!

kunalraiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
I went for an inspection of SV8 and an SS today.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
How would you compare the two? Even though the SS was mine I'm still interested to see how they stack up against each other.

kunalraiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
I didn't drive your car, did drive the other one.

I would say cosmetically yours was definitely better, the SV6 had a cleaner engine.
There wasn't much work done on the car during service.The ride was smoother becaue of the stock springs,the cabin was more silent witheout any vibrations.

kunalraiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
Would there be any recommendation from the VE models.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The best you can afford I guess. Omega is the base so anything else is a step up.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
Thanks mate,I know cars will always be cheaper at the auction but the risk factor is involved higher then the usual dealer/private seller purchase.
At fowles I know there are different locations where you get look out for commodores,any particular section I should concentrate on.

i actually have no idea on this one, the one at moorebank(sydney) just has an indoors section where it's advertised for a fixed price before it goes to auction and outside is all auctioned stuff, so i really don't know to be honest.sorry

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
2005vzute, did you just try and tell me that company cars dont get trashed? im still trying to work out of thats a joke!

hey man, haha i suppose i could have worded it abit better, what i was trying to say is that depending on what company it came from could determine a bit better on whether it had been thrashed or not..for example, my parents car, the vy belonged to state rail and would rarely get thrashed about because he was in the car most of the time and he isn't the most highly ranked, but he's up there...my sisters astra from a church group, i doubt priests and nuns will be rippin burnouts in it, koz if they did, they have sinned:p haha

my ute on the other hand belonged to an electrician company...i was just saying to be careful with tradies cars because who knows what apprentices have flogged it..we all know what a tradie in a commodore would be like haha...anyways i took the risk of having a ****ed transmission and differential and it worked out..still wonder whether it has been thrashed or not, but i doubt it would have had the arse flogged off it koz it's running perfectly fine...

every car will have been thrashed at some point, to what extent is what you need to be careful of.

so yea, depending on what company's and area it came from will help determine if it has been thrashed abit more...not saying it's gunna be 100% accurate, but it will help a bit more

hope that cleared it up abit..sorry for the late reply though, forgot i had posted on here:p
cheers everyone

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
oh yes..another bit of advice, take note of imperfections with the car you test drive...i was thinking about buying a 2004 vz sv6 auto..was beautiful, leather seats, dvd player etc..55000 kms and only 17 grand..what a steal...i went to the dealer to have a look, looked under the rear bumper and found rubber all up the back of it..obviously burnouts...burnouts, ok fair enough, probably a quick hoon before the owners sold the car...could this also mean a stuffed differential, who knows..took it for a test drive and it was fine...very big vibration though..it was flat spots on the tyres...i didn't think much of it untill i thought, hang on a second, how does a commodore with so much technology get flat spots...it wouldn't be tyre rotation problems because there is load on all 4 tyres...handbrake skids? possibility of a buggered handbrake coming up...maybe the ABS is rooted and allowed the wheels to lock up..the simplest things could lead to big trouble and more money, just keep in mind those things, if your rather interested a car, update us on what is wrong with it...after all a forum of brains is better then one..most times

cheers mate:)