Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Alan Mance Over Fill Oil

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I've been told if I fit a catch can it will fix my oil usage. Apparently it's not just AFM models that use oil. I probably won't bother as it only drops to min on the stick before I drop the oil. I assume this be about a litre of usage, I haven't measured what comes out and what goes back in.
Min to max on the dipstick is normally only about half a litre or so IIRC.

Edit. When I put about 200mls in the SSV last weekend it was just above the halfway mark on the dipstick.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
depends when u read it too, after sitting over night or straight after a drive will make a difference, the v6 may have more sitting in the heads after a drive so will show higher first thing in the morning if they filled it according to worm oil level

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Min to max on the dipstick is normally about half a litre IIRC.
Ok, I thought it must have been about 1L, given they take over 8L per oil change.

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
depends when u read it too, after sitting over night or straight after a drive will make a difference, the v6 may have more sitting in the heads after a drive so will show higher first thing in the morning if they filled it according to worm oil level
Ah well, I did check it after it sat in my garage overnight. When I checked it after the drive yesterday it was still over full, not to mention the car now loses power between 2900rpm and 3400rpm almost like a hesitation... I have not driven it today as I am afraid to cause damage but I rang Holden/Kia/GM what ever you wanna call them and they said they will call me Monday...

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
I gave into curiosity and took it for a drive I’ve let it sit for maybe 2 minutes so not long at all and this pic is the 3rd oil read.

Attachments

• 37D9F97F-05AC-46E3-8617-E73E953E615F.jpeg
    37D9F97F-05AC-46E3-8617-E73E953E615F.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 120

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
To me that doesn't look like a problem.

Cold oil before the engine has run doesn't mean much. Oil level with the engine up to temp just after shut down would show the running oil level. Oil doesn't look aerated either so not a huge issue.

Other than an oil change, what else was done during the service?

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
To me that doesn't look like a problem.

Cold oil before the engine has run doesn't mean much. Oil level with the engine up to temp just after shut down would show the running oil level. Oil doesn't look aerated either so not a huge issue.

Other than an oil change, what else was done during the service?
I was trying to avoid telling the whole story but I think it will make things easier, I will try to paraphrase it as short as possible.

the work done at Holden was Timing Chain kit, oil pump, and "Engine cleaned as good as possible." Spark plugs, new oil and manual transmission service. For context this was just supposed to be a $600 engine and gearbox service with investigation of sound coming from engine that turned into a 7 day with no car $2500 job, for more details read below

I bought the car December 24th, 169XXXkm's on the clock, I drove it for about a month and a half now at 174XXXkms and the engine started to make an intermittent knocking sound inconsistently and it was coming from the passenger side of the front of the engine. I did a service myself (Oil, Oil Filter and air filter) when I got the car as ya do and when the car started making the knocking sound I put engine flush in the engine and did another service as I was lead to believe it could have been some gunk lowering oil pressure and causing the timing tensioners to not tension properly resulting in timing chain slappage. Previous owner said the timing chain and kit was brand new only 17XXXkms and he is my best mates dad not a random so I am inclined to think he isn't stuffing me around.

I took the car to holden to investigate the noise and they took the valve covers off to (Supposedly) find metal shavings in the top of the engine, they investigated further to find that there were metal shavings in the sump and they recommended me to get a engine swap as it may be cheaper than repairing. I say supposedly because as mentioned before I changed the oil twice, once when I got it and once a couple of days after it started making the sound, first oil change I didn't notice anything strange in the oil and the second oil change I ran the oil through a flour sifter and found zero debri, dirt, gunk and metal shavings it was perfect.

Also Holden couldn't tell me the cause of the sound and why it was doing it intermittently, after asking them maybe 6 times for a reason all this was happening they turned around and said the timing chain was a cheap shitty Chinese one that has stretched and is the cause. The engine light never came on by the way and they never reported a timing chain code so I was lead to believe this was bullshit too.

Holden gave me all the old parts and I held both secondary timing chains with a screw driver and found them to be exactly the same size no stretching PLUS they told me the driver side chain was "extremely stretched."

I found the cause of the sound myself in the end as it was the passenger side secondary timing chain tensioner had blow its little ball and jet head which is in between the tensioner piston and the housing. I found no traces of metal through both services they also sent me pictures of the internals of my engine

Attachments

• IMG-0233.jpg
    IMG-0233.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG-9448.jpg
    IMG-9448.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG-9449.jpg
    IMG-9449.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG-9452.jpg
    IMG-9452.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG-9447 smaller.jpg
    IMG-9447 smaller.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 101

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
How much oil to get it back to full?

Dunno.

Haven't topped it up.

It's due for a change in the next week or so along with front brakes, when the mech gets out of iso.

That was taken this morning after sitting over night.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
I've seen a lot worse engine gunk wise.

Not sure on the hesitation either but as the engine has been apart a couple of times it could be anything that has been touched in that process. Seeing as Holden did the last work they should diagnose the issue they caused if it wasn't there before they had it apart.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Overall I’d not be concerned. It’s not overly professional of them to fill it to there, however I often drop in 6 1/2 to 7ltrs on oil changes. Puts the level about where it is in the second photo.

The worst that would happen is the crank will aerate the oil a bit or very worst is a bit of white smoke. Just drop 500ml out and it’s all good. I’ve never had an issue.

Power losses etc can’t be attributed to some extra oil.

As much as it looks like you’ve had an uncool ride with that Dealership, you seem to be anxious around things which will easily be clouding your rational mind from managing the situation. Anxiety sucks. Over thinking and your mind creating situations that don’t exist to substainiate the thoughts and feelings created.

It’s rational and fact based thinking that will see you through it.

No harm will come from things. You can drop a liter yourself and top up to something you feel comfortable with. That won’t affect your warranty.

Or just be calm on Monday and ask them to get the oil level right (as they should have done the first time) for you. No point being emotional or irrational with them because they won’t be as willing to help you regardless wether they over filled it or not. Nothing wrong with being assertive and disappointed in them. That’s fair enough.

I’d just do it myself and be done with it.

Good job checking the oil afterwards. I helped someone replace an oil sensor and they just paid to have an oil change at a Bridgestone Service Centre. Guess what was still in the car? Yep, old oil that was never changed.