Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Oil

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
What happens if you pull out of your driveway into traffic and sit idling for a couple of mins?

What is so bad about it?

Because the engine isn’t working at its peak operating temperature when it’s idling, the fuel doesn’t undergo complete combustion. This leaves fuel residues that can contaminate engine oil and damage engine parts. For example, fuel residues tend to deposit on spark plugs. As the amount of engine idling increases, the plugs’ average temperature drops, and they get dirty more quickly. This, in turn, can increase fuel consumption by four to five percent. It’s a vicious circle of wasted fuel and needless greenhouse gas emissions. Excessive idling can also let water condense in the vehicle’s exhaust. This can lead to corrosion and reduce the life of the exhaust system.

Do a google search, plenty of information out there.

I guess you would also be surprised to learn that modern engine don't need to be 'ran in' when new?

Tikkat3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Wagon
Because the engine isn’t working at its peak operating temperature when it’s idling, the fuel doesn’t undergo complete combustion. This leaves fuel residues that can contaminate engine oil and damage engine parts. For example, fuel residues tend to deposit on spark plugs. As the amount of engine idling increases, the plugs’ average temperature drops, and they get dirty more quickly. This, in turn, can increase fuel consumption by four to five percent. It’s a vicious circle of wasted fuel and needless greenhouse gas emissions. Excessive idling can also let water condense in the vehicle’s exhaust. This can lead to corrosion and reduce the life of the exhaust system.

Do a google search, plenty of information out there.

I guess you would also be surprised to learn that modern engine don't need to be 'ran in' when new?

I have never heard so much rubbish in my life.

There is more fuel contamination at higher revs than when idling.

As the engine continues to idle the temp's go up not down and if the engine is running rich the O2 sensors would pick this up and adjust accordingly.

Excessive idling would cause the engine to reach its maximum temps before the thermo fans kick in.

Most cars these days have a stainless exhaust and maybe you should "google" catalytic convertors as they convert exhaust gases to water.

Can you explain why you have to take your car back for a 1,000 or 1,500 first service from new?
Might be to change the run in oil that was put in their from factory.
Cast iron bores and cast rings havent changed in the past 20 years and have to be run in properly.

Last edited:

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
I'd avoid Magnatech, an oil that "sticks" to parts? No thanks, no wonder the oil sensor got fubar. It's also a no-no for turbo's, i'd imagine an oil with some gummy sticky crap put through it.

I back this one up for sure. I had that in the engine once, yuk
Next change and I tried castrol 0W/40
Was heaps better but the next change I went for 5w/30 Castrol Edge.
That was a huge difference. No more dead spots in power. Would go straight through to red line very even and smooth.
Less stress on the oil pressure system. Thicker is not better.
Also on the other quote said by IPCOlsenVZ
Spot on. You MUST use the genuine filter.
ALL known after market brands INCLUDING the most popular A/M brands that some even think are a genuine (Ryco)
are poorly made and cause low oil pressure issues. The sympoms mensioned with the oil pressure switch could be due to the Oil filter if its non genuine.

I'm not making this up. It's in a car magazine write up as they did an independant test on all the brands by section cutting them through.
(sorry can't remember which mag)
I found out about this and change mine to genuine. The lifters were noisy before the filter change. Aftrer it was gone in an instant.
(same oil/ just the filter changed)

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
Can you explain why you have to take your car back for a 1,000 or 1,500 first service from new?
Might be to change the run in oil that was put in their from factory.
The first service is an inspection only. And is mainly to check fluid levels and check the cooling system for problems.
Might wanna do a bit of homework on this subject cos times have changed from what they used to be

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

jojo69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
anybody out there used penrite 5/30 full syn..complete prot- full zinc..please help..thanks