Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Oil

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
Isnt Mobil 1 synthetic the best?
IT appears that oils seem to be a case of is the glass half full or half empty, by the way i use Magnatec 10w-40.

Bulldog Edd

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I have a 2005 VZ SV6 with 142,000kms and the manual says 10w-30? Should I stick with that or go with the 15w-40?

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Wrong, Engines don't need to be warmed up these days, they should not be driven hard till up to normal operating temperature though.

'Wrong', i love that- alright give me a reason why id like to know why you dont need too- being a mechanic and all (not trying to up note myself btw just trying to put out there that i know some things) coz i sure as hell believe my post is much more valid than yours but you believe what you want to believe

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Wikky is actually right, you don't need to warm your car up. You also don't need to run in a brand new engine anymore. Get with the times ladies.

Each to their opinion but yeah your right in saying you dont need to run in a new engine although i would still warm it up everytime, would not rev it too high til around 10k and would change oil at 1k but thats just me, others will differ

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Oil coming out clean can also indicate the oil is not doing it job. Really expensive synthetic oils have detergents that clean the inside of the engine and therefore the oil always comes out very dark, showing the oil is doing its job.

about that- oil coming out clean could also mean an extremely efficient engine (as in very minimum blow by), and about oil cleaning engines i used to believe that but realistically even if oil didnt have detergents your engine still wouldnt gunk up (that is with oil pressure and oil being hot as f%$@ at its highest viscosity - think hot water high pressure- a gurney, oil filter to catch the micro scopic particles of engine wear and carbon and a pcv valve which gets rid of moisture and blow by contaminants, oil goes darker because of the millions of times its burned in the combustion process simple, if anyone differs please elaborate

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Another fan of the magnatec here. Never had a issue with it and I do my oil every 5000 no matter what. I'm also a fan of letting my car warm up before its driven, it's not gonna do it any harm and can only be good for it.

Magically transferred through space and time to the internut on my LifeProof'd iPhone using Tapatalk.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
about that- oil coming out clean could also mean an extremely efficient engine (as in very minimum blow by), and about oil cleaning engines i used to believe that but realistically even if oil didnt have detergents your engine still wouldnt gunk up (that is with oil pressure and oil being hot as f%$@ at its highest viscosity - think hot water high pressure- a gurney, oil filter to catch the micro scopic particles of engine wear and carbon and a pcv valve which gets rid of moisture and blow by contaminants, oil goes darker because of the millions of times its burned in the combustion process simple, if anyone differs please elaborate

Hence why i said it "can" indicate the oil is not doing its job.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Wrong', i love that- alright give me a reason why id like to know why you dont need too- being a mechanic and all (not trying to up note myself btw just trying to put out there that i know some things) coz i sure as hell believe my post is much more valid than yours but you believe what you want to believe

My dad is a mechanic also but that is aside the point, modern engines do not need to be warmed up, this is even stated in the owners manual.

Bulldog Edd

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
An amatuer question here, if I have 143,000kms on my alloytec 190 (2005) what oil should I use as I just bought the car and want to service it myself. The manual says 10w-30, but does that still count considering the kms?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
An amatuer question here, if I have 143,000kms on my alloytec 190 (2005) what oil should I use as I just bought the car and want to service it myself. The manual says 10w-30, but does that still count considering the kms?

Yes you can still use 10w-30 in Australian climates with those kms, especially in winter. In summer you could go a 10w-40 if you find your car uses excessive oil.