Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Oil

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Hence why i said it "can" indicate the oil is not doing its job.[/QUOT

yeah but my engine atm has done 7k on 5w 40 magnatec (over it- changing brands next week) and the oil is suprisingly still pretty clean and all i put it down to is being well maintained, way i see it with any oil you use, changed regularly your engne will stay spotless

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
An amatuer question here, if I have 143,000kms on my alloytec 190 (2005) what oil should I use as I just bought the car and want to service it myself. The manual says 10w-30, but does that still count considering the kms?

yes and no depending on its previous service history, how much the engines worn during those km's, what engine noises there are at cold start ups and how much oil it burns during general driving. if all is good go for it. personally my cars done nearly 170k and iv used 5w 40 magnatec since i bought it at 50k coz the oil was free but in the past 30k its had noisy cold starts (from the valve train- cam followers most likely) so this time i deciding between fuchs penrite or gulf western preferably in a 5/10 to 40/50w. choices choices.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I'd avoid Magnatech, an oil that "sticks" to parts? No thanks, no wonder the oil sensor got fubar. It's also a no-no for turbo's, i'd imagine an oil with some gummy sticky crap put through it.

Just go a good quality organic 15-40 or something around there, no need to go full synthetic unless you have spare $$ to throw around. Doing an oil change regularly (every 7500kms) is better for the engine that any expensive oil. I changed my oil and filter on my turbo lancer every 5000kms because it was an easy DIY.

Oh yeah always let your engine warm up and take it easy before bringing it above 3000rpm. 90% of engine wear is done within the first 10 mins of driving. If you really love your car you should let it idle after a cold start for a minute.

Best advice is that you DON'T start the engine and sit and let it idle to warm up. Start engine and drive staright off making sure that you DON'T over-rev or over-load the engine for the first 5 - 10 km

In regard to oil, make sure that it is within the Specifications as listed in the Owners Handbook, that you change it in accordance with recommendations (more frequently if driving under harsh conditions e.g. towing, racing, thrashing etc) along with the oil filter. Why some people insist on NOT changing the Oil Filter at the same time as the oil defies logic. Remember, Aloytecs LOVE clean oil.

Last edited:

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Best advice is that you DON'T start the engine and sit and let it idle to warm up. Start engine and drive staright off making sure that you DON'T over-rev or over-load the engine for the first 5 - 10 km

In regard to oil, make sure that it is within the Specifications as listed in the Owners Handbook, that you change it in accordance with recommendations (more frequently if driving under harsh conditions e.g. towing, racing, thrashing etc) along with the oil filter. Why some people insist on NOT changing the Oil Filter at the same time as the oil defies logic. Remember, Aloytecs LOVE clean oil.

Why wouldn't you wanna let the car warm up for a minute before driving? How can that be anything but good for your car?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Why wouldn't you wanna let the car warm up for a minute before driving? How can that be anything but good for your car?

Idling is one of the worst things you can do. Driving it normally gets it up to temperature faster.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I start mine and it may idle for 1min or so while i ready myself then i drive off, never had any problems although with the cam it does warm up alot quicker

Ready yourself? As in, get out your safety checklist and check your makeup?

Tikkat3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Wagon
Idling is one of the worst things you can do. Driving it normally gets it up to temperature faster.

What happens if you pull out of your driveway into traffic and sit idling for a couple of mins?

What is so bad about it?