Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

An awesome Spag Bol

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
We find with a lot of sauces and stews they get better the next day. Normally we make big batches so the left overs can be used for meals when people are at work etc

She won’t approve.
I have not yet cooked it up.
I might have a crack next Friday.

As you have probably seen, there are a couple of themes emerging. Firstly, everyone has their own preferences for ingredients - and that’s absolutely fine and is all personal preference. The other thing is (as @Immortality mentioned), is that it gets better with time. I find the ‘slow cooking’ does much the same. The longer, and slower, it is cooked, the better it is.

I often do a slow cooked roast lamb. I start it at about 9am for dinner that same day, so about a 9 hours in the oven. What is amazing is that the leftovers are just as good the next day. I find that lamb roasted the normal way (i.e. not slow cooked) is absolutely crap the next day as leftovers.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
As you have probably seen, there are a couple of themes emerging. Firstly, everyone has their own preferences for ingredients - and that’s absolutely fine and is all personal preference. The other thing is (as @Immortality mentioned), is that it gets better with time. I find the ‘slow cooking’ does much the same. The longer, and slower, it is cooked, the better it is.

I often do a slow cooked roast lamb. I start it at about 9am for dinner that same day, so about a 9 hours in the oven. What is amazing is that the leftovers are just as good the next day. I find that lamb roasted the normal way (i.e. not slow cooked) is absolutely crap the next day as leftovers.

giphy.gif

So now we gotta start roast lamb thread!!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Just cooked up some Spag Bol.

Added lots of Garlic and Ginger.
Added Taco seasoning to the mince (and some other herbs and spices)
Add sauces like tomato paste, bbq and whatever else you find.
Add Champignon mushrooms, olives, carrots and peas.

Normally have it with Dinosaur pasta.
Because childish.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
giphy.gif

So now we gotta start roast lamb thread!!

HaHa. Will do at some stage if there is interest. What I find amazing is the comments I get on my roast potatoes. I thought I was doing a great job on my lamb roasts only to hear that it is my roast potatoes that everyone (in the extended family) seems to remember.

But my favourite all time dish is still Spag bol.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
200w.gif

You roast up carrots and turnips in there too?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
200w.gif

You roast up carrots and turnips in there too?

I haven’t tried carrots or turnips.

If I have time (and I’m in the mood), I’ll do double-cooked roast potatoes. They take about 2 hours all up. They are boiled first - to the point that they are going to fall apart - ideally cracking but still holding together - this is the tricky and nerve racking bit. They are then carefully drained and placed on a well oiled baking tray. They are then well salted and well oiled (using an oil sprayer) then roasted. Strangely, even though they are already cooked, it actually takes longer to roast them than raw potatoes. I guess it must be the extra moisture from the boiling process? Anyway, after they are roasted, and salted, they come out as quite crunchy roast potatoes. I thought that they are pretty good, but my dinner guest insisted that they are amazingly good.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jarrah honey. It’s better.