Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any Help? "Trap Speed" on new Police Cars & Disputing Police Fines?

Robertr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Hey

I was pulled up by a police car and given a fine by using the trap speed on the car and I am looking to dispute it.

We were going down a hill and the police car was closing the distance between the whole time until they pulled me over. I checked my speedo when they hit the lights I don't think I was at the speed they recorded or even not speeding at all.

How does the trap speed work exactly? Do you have to hold the button down for a certain amount of time or is it the moment you press a button that is the recorded speed on the dash?

The police told me they had to follow at the same speed for some amount of time to get a lock, which I find a bit off as they were closing on me. But if that is the case I could have been speeding down the hill and just didn't know, however I still don't think I was traveling at their recorded speed. But if it is recorded just by the press of a button they could have clocked it at their maximum speed catching up to me? I asked and they had no radar or film footage just the trap speed on the dash.

If you have any information on Trap speed or any advice about disputing a police fine that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Is 4 threads enough or do you think you can make some more?

Robertr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
haha, nah, i think im good with 4, just wanted to get it out there get as much feedback/information as possible.
sorry didn't read the rules first.

Last edited:

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
You can try to Dispute it, but generally its their word against yours generally their word will win. Why were you working your speed off the Digital speedo and not using your analog speedo? It's there from the factory for a reason. Just letting you know that if you chose to dispute it sometimes the out come can be worse then the initial fine. Unless you know you can win it, I would just be sucking it up, paying the fine, coping the lose of points and move on. If you are on your red P's then I would look at fighting it, you will probably have to go sit a drivers offenders course or be put on a 12month good behavior bond.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My advice is to just pay it, you won't win.

Robertr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
No i went by my analog when i checked, I was shown the trap speed on the police digital speedo and I'm looking at disputing that as there was no radar or video along with that. No I'm not on my P's just want to maintain a immaculate driving record and think the fine is bullshit. So what can happen if a dispute fails?

Cheers

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Seriously, that's not optimism or anything, its just fact. You have no proof that you weren't and the police are counted as expert witnesses, their word is proof.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
one thread is all you need mate, read the rules.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Get a lawyer. You'll need one to seriously dispute this. One who is practiced in this type of law.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Get a lawyer. You'll need one to seriously dispute this. One who is practiced in this type of law.

And be prepared to pay a hell of a lot more than the fine.