Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any Help? "Trap Speed" on new Police Cars & Disputing Police Fines?

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Agreed. How much is your immaculate driving record worth to you? If you dispute it and take it to court, it WILL cost you many thousand dollars, AND its still almost a certainty that they will rule against you. As has been said, police are considered 'expert witnesses' so you'd have to have pretty hard evidence that you werent speeding to win. And as was also said, if you fight it and loose, the fine will be increased from the original fine (on top of the thousands you've already spent). Honestly if you have full points and your not gonna loose your licence, just pay the fine of a few hundred bucks at most and deal with the fact you dont have an unblemished record.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
mate, just do what i've done a few times.

Write them a nice letter explaining how you believe you weren't speeding, and say you have an immaculate driving record. And ask if the fine can be downgraded to a warning. If it is your first driving offense I think you are entitled to a warning.

pattobro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3800
i was clocked driving my missus car 13 ks over the limit while on my red p's and got away with a slap on the wrist by writing them a letter pretty much suckiung up their ass might not always work but always worth a shot.. if you try dispute it you will be worse off whether you win or loose imo

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
A letter can't hurt. A nice polite, letter, where you polity state your case, and your record. And don't ask to be let off or for a warning, just ask for your history to be considered.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Just out of interest...what speed did they get you at, and what speed zone were you in?

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Hi Mate,

Here in VIC, ive used this 2 times (i wouldn't try anymore than twice in a close period of time) http://online.fines.vic.gov.au/fine...redir=Internal Review for an Infringement.pdf download that document print it and selection option1 for Exceptional Circumstances and in an additional A4 page type out a nice sincere letter stating you admit to the offence but because of your clean driving records ask for an official warning.

Also - if they refuse giving you an official warning, you will not need to pay additional fees. Just have to pay the regular fine, this is sort of like a 2nd chance thing before trying to send this to court in front of a magistrate and probably lose and then have to pay court fees of approx $70-95~

Take caution when using these though as, they aren't stupid and it doesn't take very long for them to catch onto a driver who has no brains.

Last edited:

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
nah i went by my analog when i checked, I was shown the trap speed on the police digital speedo and I'm looking at disputing that as there was no radar or video along with that. Nah I'm not on my P's just want to maintain a immaculate driving record and think the fine is bullshit. So what can happen if a dispute fails?

Cheers

The word is "no" not "nah"

If your dispute fails you will pay the fine and associated court costs, plus legal fees if you engage a Lawyer.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've read in other threads that the factory speedos in COP cars have stickers on them saying something like not accurate, guide only or something. So how can they ping you based on their non calibrated speedo ?

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
your doomed dude, as everyone else has said, you wont be able to argue, as all the cops speed equipment is all regularly tested for accuracy .. As CD's said you could attempt in filling out the appeal application.. and telling them about your good record, i tried that once and failed.. But im only on P's .. And depends how fast you were going if they let you off with a warning, But my dollar says your stuck and gotta pay it.

But hey join in, who here hasn't been booked or lost their license at least one? lol

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I've read in other threads that the factory speedos in COP cars have stickers on them saying something like not accurate, guide only or something. So how can they ping you based on their non calibrated speedo ?

Don't know where you got that from. Cop speedos are regularly checked for accuracy.