Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Question:

I heard here in SA the police can't pull you over for speeding and give you a speeding fine and a defect at once.

If they are pulling you over for speeding they can't give you multiple fines on the spot?

is this true?

I have a mate who was pulled over on a country road 5km/h over the speed limit and was given a fine + a defect for having a vortech side mount

So if they catch you speeding, talking on the phone, with no seatbelt, in an unregistered car, on a disqualified license, they can only give you one fine? Lol

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Cyclist to face court on drink-riding charge | News.com.au

obviously this backs up the idea of the same law as asked about. which would be the ruling of .05 on a bike aswell.
but still wondering if anyone would know if you are on p plates, ride a bike. is it still 0.00?
and would that be the same for someone without a licence at the same p plate age.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So if they catch you speeding, talking on the phone, with no seatbelt, in an unregistered car, on a disqualified license, they can only give you one fine? Lol

Sorry let me rephrase.

I was only talking about defects.

Of course if you were committing multiple offenses sure no problems but I heard they can't do a roadworthy inspection on the side of the road due to a RBT

SVNDR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VXII Exec
Ive got a question for helly if he is still around.

Are there any up and coming changes to P1 and P2 restrictions that you know of? Such as the rule that restricts the P Plate driver to not having more the 1 person under the age of 25 (i believe) between the hours of 11am-6am (i believe once again).

I only ask because you dont really hear much about these rules until they are in place, and i dont see the RTA giving to much information so early before the rule comes in.

Cheers

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
Ive got a question for helly if he is still around.

Are there any up and coming changes to P1 and P2 restrictions that you know of? Such as the rule that restricts the P Plate driver to not having more the 1 person under the age of 25 (i believe) between the hours of 11am-6am (i believe once again).

I only ask because you dont really hear much about these rules until they are in place, and i dont see the RTA giving to much information so early before the rule comes in.

Cheers

dont think so mate, and its only with your red P's you cant have passengers at a certain time. Green P's are fine

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
so anyway. i thought ill go see the local police station about it (and another rule)

on a pushbike,
with full licence = 0.05 BAC allowed
with no licence = 0.05 BAC (so long as you're of the drinking age)
on Probationary Licence = 0.00 BAC even though you are on a different form of transport, due to the fact of being "more responsible" and following your licence conditions.

but on the other hand. they have never heard anyone being pulled over for a breatho on a pushbike, unless you are obviously drunk and cannot ride at all =P
however i was still amazed by it.

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
Well said and very fair from my point of view. As car enthusiasts we need to make sure we comply with the laws (inappropriate as some are) more so than the average road user. It is also unfair to pick on, bully, demean and degrade those that are trying to enforce the laws as best they can. If you dont like a law or rule then complain to your local member of parliament, not about those at the bottom of the rung. VicCop I have been a member for as long time and have read this thread from start to finish and I applaud the fact that you are here at all.

Remember kiddies play nice, play within the rules and lets all get along.

Oh and tips for when you are pulled over:

1. Be courteous and nice to the police officer. If you have been pulled over then you have either done something wrong or its a random breath test in which case I would hope that an RBT wouldn't be an issue.

2. Be gracious when handed any fine, asked to do something etc. Its not the end of the world whatever it is and remember that the police are at the bottom of the rung........if you feel that you have been incorrectly dealt with then fight it in court. Let your peers decide.

3. Every police officer has the option to use his or hers discretion if you follow the above points then you may see some of that discretion. If not then remember their discretion works both ways.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
so anyway. i thought ill go see the local police station about it (and another rule)

on a pushbike,
with full licence = 0.05 BAC allowed
with no licence = 0.05 BAC (so long as you're of the drinking age)
on Probationary Licence = 0.00 BAC even though you are on a different form of transport, due to the fact of being "more responsible" and following your licence conditions.

but on the other hand. they have never heard anyone being pulled over for a breatho on a pushbike, unless you are obviously drunk and cannot ride at all =P
however i was still amazed by it.

so what happens if your got your full car licence (0.05) and your learner motorbike licence (0.00) and you get caught riding a pushie at 0.02???? would you get fined???
seems a little silly doesnt it

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
so what happens if your got your full car licence (0.05) and your learner motorbike licence (0.00) and you get caught riding a pushie at 0.02???? would you get fined???
seems a little silly doesnt it

I think the full license would be the one they would go off

A.C.COOKIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive 93
I dont know about other states but it used to be that way in Qld but then a ruling was brought in its the "under suspicion" ruling where if the officer believes that ther is something suspicious about your demina or situation eg roadworthyness of your car then they have the right to not only inspect your car bu to search it aswell