Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
Hi,

Just after xmas... I was stupid enough to be speeding (clocked at 112 in a 70 zone). I told the copper that I sped up a little to get through the amber light, but didn't brake enough down the hill and just let the car coast down to the speed limit. He'd obviously clocked me at my fastest when I got down the hill:(

Anyway, I was wondering how accurate those laser guns are, I thought they weren't meant to be used from up on a hill? Also heard that that coppers in vic are meant to have their caps on when they get out of their cars? OH&S or something? I tried for about 15 mins... asking him very nicely to drop the fine down a little (6 month license suspension) but he wouldn't budge. Does the data off those radar's get looked at?

I was just gunna say,
1. Very
2. NO
3. NO
4. Ha Ha...

It always amazes me that people still try to get out of things by using the old copper wasn't wearing his hat trick! I bet if he was in a UC HWP car and was a plain cltohes op you'd still try it, wouldn't you...

I'd say fight it, the officer won't mind a day in court, it would be interesting to see how you go with that defence... Oh yes your Honour I was doing 112 in a 70 zone (points finger at officer) BUT YOU WEREN"T WEARING YOUR HAT SIR, YOU ARE AN ABOMINATION!!!! I rest my case...

:rip:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I'd say fight it, the officer won't mind a day in court, it would be interesting to see how you go with that defence... Oh yes your Honour I was doing 112 in a 70 zone (points finger at officer) BUT YOU WEREN"T WEARING YOUR HAT SIR, YOU ARE AN ABOMINATION!!!! I rest my case...

:rip:

LMFAO, what i'd give to see that :p

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown V6 VT commodore 5 speed
Just like to say that i started this thread and that i feel proud that its still going yaaaa for me!!!! nearly 40,000 looks and still going strong. Keep it up all took me ages to read it all and johnnyk you are a idiot get out of my thread hahahaha

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
Just like to say that i started this thread and that i feel proud that its still going yaaaa for me!!!! nearly 40,000 looks and still going strong. Keep it up all took me ages to read it all and johnnyk you are a idiot get out of my thread hahahaha

maybe johnny's village called:D

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I was just gunna say,
1. Very
2. NO
3. NO
4. Ha Ha...

It always amazes me that people still try to get out of things by using the old copper wasn't wearing his hat trick! I bet if he was in a UC HWP car and was a plain cltohes op you'd still try it, wouldn't you...

well just to give you the opposite story.
i was pulled over on a section of burwood h/way between upwey and upper ferntree gully, called the mad mile.
i did speed up for the left turn signal onto burwood h/way, went around the corner with a bit of pace, and sped down the mad mile at around 90kmph (70 limit). i always made sure i was under 25over because its an auto loss for p platers.
so i notice a cop car behind me after 3km or so, i had slowed to around the limit by then. he comes up behind me and flashes his lights and i pull over.
get asked why i was over? just say no reason. then says i was between 30-40 over the limit. asks if i know the limit, yes its 70. he tells me usually i will loose my licence automatically, i reply i know. then he says he will write me up a ticket. i think that i have just lost my licence and he is giving me a formal notice.
he comes back and says he has taken 3 points and $215 fine, and i will keep my licence. so i thank him and they leave with me sitting there realising how close i almost lost my licence.

i tell my uncle a few days after because he is a sargent at knox. he says he knows the bloke and that i am very lucky. some weeks after my uncle says he spoke to the copper and the copper said that he could see i knew i ****ed up bad.

so really if you even start trying to stift the blame from yourself to if the copper is wearing a hat or if he has the correct sock on each foot then you obviously dont care about the fine and have not learnt your lesson, so you wil get the maximum fine.

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
Well I don't hoon around, it was just getting through while the light was amber. It was my mistake on not braking after the road dipped which eventually got the car to that speed. I was thinking about the cap thing, but didn't want to be a smart arse to him. All I can say now is that I'm not going to let that happen again! Just wish I didn't have to lose my license :(

Oh.. and minux....what can I say mate, everyone's entitled to their opinions. Hope your not breaking the law in your V8 SS and XR8 ;)

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
Ahh... OK...

42 k's over isn't hooning???

FOURTY TWO KILOMETERS PER HOUR!!!

I have never said this on these forums cos I try to take the middle ground and just help out, BUT...

YOU ARE A DEAD SET IDIOT!

Well I don't hoon around, it was just getting through while the light was amber. It was my mistake on not braking after the road dipped which eventually got the car to that speed. I was thinking about the cap thing, but didn't want to be a smart arse to him. All I can say now is that I'm not going to let that happen again! Just wish I didn't have to lose my license :(

Oh.. and minux....what can I say mate, everyone's entitled to their opinions. Hope your not breaking the law in your V8 SS and XR8 ;)

What a load of BS!

Oh and I'm sure MINUX isn't cracking through intersections at 42 kph over the speed limit!

Last edited:

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Hardly any of us wear hats. Only if were controlling traffic at prang or on foot patrol.

Don't ever try question the accuracy of the laser devices - you will lose. Police only use prescribed speed measuring devices as per the Road Safety Act. They are tested and certified every 12 months and the police members using them have to be the holder of a speed measuring device authority meaning they have been trained in the use of the devices and the legislative requirements. The device will give a reading with an accuracy of + or - 2km/h, which is why when you get a ticket it says the detected speed and an alleged speed that is always 2km/h less than the detected speed. It is your alleged speed that is used.

Also can I make one thing clear. Contrary to a recent Herald Sun article about people losing confidence in police due to many things, one being speed cameras -POLICE DO NOT OPERATE SPEED CAMERAS. Yes when you get one it has the police emblem on the letter as well as S/Sgt Richie's name on the ticket. That is simply because a police member has to issue the ticket based on the evidence. Tenix Solutions operate the cameras which is why they like to get as many as they can because it means more money for them which is what the private sector is all about.

I'm pretty sure the tolerance for cameras in Victoria is only 2km/h. Any more than that and *click*. I think it's the same adjustment as lasers - 2km/h is deducted from the reading. If that's the case with cameras and you're doing 63 in a 60 zone, deduct 2km/h makes it 61 so you're really technically according to law still speeding. The low tolerance is the state government's doing due to the fact that Victorian drivers are most of the time dead set idiots.

Last edited:

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
i always made sure i was under 25over because its an auto loss for p platers.

It's automatic 1 month suspension for anyone 25 or more over.

When I get one with the laser that is 27 km/h or more (remember 2km/h is automatically deducted) it comes down to attitude test. If they're genuine and cop it sweet I'll put the detected speed down a little so that when the 2ks is deducted they'll be under the 25 over so they don't get the suspension.

If the speed is way too excessive or they want to try and argue with me and be annoying they get what ever speed I got them at and maybe a roadworthy inspection while we're at it.