Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the EX-Holden Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Thanks for your prompt reply,
I have checked the contact between key and reader and it looks ok, I have cleaned the key and key reader with electrical contact cleaner, we’ll see how we go !

Cheers,
Muz

give the contacts a quick scuff with scotchbrite or steel wool too.

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
Hi Doctor Bob,

Some time ago I replaced my cluster as my fuel guage never worked properly. The new one works great, only problem is my speedo and speed alert don't work at all! I put the old one back in, but same problem. It used to work before I pulled it out. I've had it dyno'd and the speed sender is working ok, got a speed reading on the computer.

I've also noticed now sometimes when I'm cranking my engine, I hear a click click coming from the cluster as the engine is trying to turn and my interior light flashes (but the door is closed!).

What do you think this might be?

DF_Media

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6
Hi Dr Bob

My mum bought a VN commodore and there seems to be an annoying whine coming from the car. It starts when she sits in the drivers seat and turns on the ignition and is contstant until she turns off the ignition and closes the door.

I havent been able to replicate the situation when I drive the car. Any suggestions ?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi Doctor Bob,

Some time ago I replaced my cluster as my fuel guage never worked properly. The new one works great, only problem is my speedo and speed alert don't work at all! I put the old one back in, but same problem. It used to work before I pulled it out. I've had it dyno'd and the speed sender is working ok, got a speed reading on the computer.

I've also noticed now sometimes when I'm cranking my engine, I hear a click click coming from the cluster as the engine is trying to turn and my interior light flashes (but the door is closed!).

What do you think this might be?

sounds like there is a problem with the speedo circuit in the new dash, put your original back in & make sure the speedo etc works,if so just swap the working fuel guage to the original dash.
the starting thing sounds like you have a poor connection in the starting system somewhere, the clicking may be the BCM & thats causing the interior light to flash as well.
check all the main power feeds to the starter & check all the earths.

Rob

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi Dr Bob

My mum bought a VN commodore and there seems to be an annoying whine coming from the car. It starts when she sits in the drivers seat and turns on the ignition and is contstant until she turns off the ignition and closes the door.

I havent been able to replicate the situation when I drive the car. Any suggestions ?

could be a noisy fuel pump?
it really depends on where the noise is coming from on the car, front or rear.

Rob

Bent_6

3/4motorsport
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Acclaim V6/ VS SII Acclaim V6
G'day doc.
I have a 88 VN berlina and the front seat is driving me nuts.
When i sit in it i feel the seat back reclining and on long drives it hurts my back as it slumps back.
Is there a way to tighten up the seat mechanism to prevent this from happening or is it just worn out?
The trim on the seat is perfect so i dont think it has had much hard work in its life.

Cheers
Steve

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
G'day doc.
I have a 88 VN berlina and the front seat is driving me nuts.
When i sit in it i feel the seat back reclining and on long drives it hurts my back as it slumps back.
Is there a way to tighten up the seat mechanism to prevent this from happening or is it just worn out?
The trim on the seat is perfect so i dont think it has had much hard work in its life.

Cheers
Steve

this is common with early VN's there used to be a rework kit but its NLA now, best bet is to pull it apart & clean the grease out of it & try to shim it up to give more preload on the mechanism.
Rob

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
next annoying question (btw the engine's half done)

Apparently COME can alter the ECU so the power/econ switch can change the shifts to auto/manual... can you do anything like this? I want to be able to bumble around town and just flick a switch and have total control, if it's possible (aftermarket shifter is looking like a plan too)

Status
Not open for further replies.