Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the EX-Holden Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
trying to find the bulletin....its been a while.lol

AL'sVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
Hi Doc,

I have just fitted a HSV dash cluster to my VY, and need to get it programmed before I do 100 k's.

Are Holden dealers the only ones who can do this or can I take it to the likes of Ultra Tune to have it done?

Cheers

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
Hi Bob,

My VR has been pretty bad with fuel economy, even though I'm not a lead foot most of the time. I've put my ECU in diagnostic mode, and there were no stored error codes. I'm thinking it might be my CTS, as it doesn't take long to get temp half way up, even in cold weather (fan kicks in and doesn't go up any higher). I've recently had to change my radiator changed too because of a leak, so I don't think it's that.

My question is -

I'm suspecting CTS, how can I check that? I'm prepared to get an ALDL cable, and some software (pref. evaluation or free) that will show me the data from the car's sensors (bearing in mind I wouldn't know what range would be considered 'normal')

On an offside - I've been told there have been many service updates for the VR[auto] (ECU), would it help my fuel economy much to have it updated?

Cheers

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi Doc,

I have just fitted a HSV dash cluster to my VY, and need to get it programmed before I do 100 k's.

Are Holden dealers the only ones who can do this or can I take it to the likes of Ultra Tune to have it done?

Cheers

its best to go to a dealer as even if someone has a Tech2 they probably wont have the ability to get security acess to program the odo.

Rob

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi Bob,

My VR has been pretty bad with fuel economy, even though I'm not a lead foot most of the time. I've put my ECU in diagnostic mode, and there were no stored error codes. I'm thinking it might be my CTS, as it doesn't take long to get temp half way up, even in cold weather (fan kicks in and doesn't go up any higher). I've recently had to change my radiator changed too because of a leak, so I don't think it's that.

My question is -

I'm suspecting CTS, how can I check that? I'm prepared to get an ALDL cable, and some software (pref. evaluation or free) that will show me the data from the car's sensors (bearing in mind I wouldn't know what range would be considered 'normal')

On an offside - I've been told there have been many service updates for the VR[auto] (ECU), would it help my fuel economy much to have it updated?

Cheers

the coolant temp sensor should read (within a few degrees) the current coolant temperature, the time taken to get to temp has nothing to do with it.
get an adapter & EFILive V4, this will give you the data you need. Normal would be considered close to current temperature.

Any updates will have little bearing on economy there have been none specifically for economy.

i would start with a tune (plugs, filters) & possibly an injector flush.
then check the mixture with a scantool to see what is going on.

Rob

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
dr bob did you end up finding out if the vs calais trip com readouts can be set to the accurate reading if a sc was fitted with bigger injectors cheers cx.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
dr bob did you end up finding out if the vs calais trip com readouts can be set to the accurate reading if a sc was fitted with bigger injectors cheers cx.

im almost 99% positive the main figure is calculated in the memcal & sent to the trip computer. i just have to find it....

AL'sVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
Thx Dr Bob for your advice, cars booked in with G&W Smith Friday Cheers SiR!

ha_ha_ha_no

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN commodore
VN commdore and VY commdore

hi
im new to this whole commodore forum. I have a VN commdore with extractors. I was jsut wondering if anyone knew if i can pull them out and put them on a VY commdore? i thinkt they have the same size engine but not too sure? :bow: :bow: :bow:

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Nah mate, im sure they would be different, they are a different motor, just the same capascity. Ino VR wont fit on a VP and they have the same motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.