Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Assistance Please! Misfire CYL 1,3,5. Runs normal for 30 second then rough idle, rpm fluctuation. VE SV6 2010 Auto

Kraken

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Holden Commodore VE SV6 3.6L Auto
Hey guys ive got a 2010 commodore ve sv6 *310000km. Drove it home from work one night 30 mins, later than night it rained for a bit. Went for a maccas run while it was raining, about 100meters down the road *30seconds-1minute of driving car flashes check engine and idling becomes so rough I thought box was gonna explode.
Whole car shaking jerky acceleration. Rpm usually sits around 1000rpm, needle was fluctuating below 1k, around 600-650, up and down. Sounds like car was going to stall but it doesnt, just runs like an islander on the shitter after tacos.
If i give the car gas it runs normal how it should, when I take foot off and let it idle, rough. Around 40-50KM and above it runs normal, or about 2500+RPM.
I purchased an OBD2 scanner codes were P300, 01, 03, 05. Cylinder 1,3,5 Misfire. Erased a few times and it seems that No.5 is the first one to go, and i suspect because of that 1 and 3 follow.
Sometimes the Stability control turns off and an unable to turn it back on, It happens after 3minutes of idleing. Maybe, Maybe not kinda thing.
Havent drove it since I noticed, just been idling for 3mins max, erasing codes, swapping parts side to side. Dont wanna fk anything up worse.

First time ever working on a car, what ive done so car is swap spark plugs and ignition coils from 1,3,5, to 2,4,6. no change.
- All the spark plugs are black & dry, normal enough for an old car, EXCEPT for cyl number 5 which was wet and fuely/oily when i took it out. But again I swapped over plugs no change.
- Swapped igntion coils 1,3,5 to 2,4,6 switch some around in some spots. Cylinder 5 Spark plug and cylinder 5 coil were not on the same cylinder. To test if it was either one. I was unplugging 1 by 1 while the car runs, It appears that Bank 1 doesnt change the idling still runs rough, its very hard to tell if it doesnt anything cause of how poor it runs - Leads me to believe that maybe a cable has gone bad cause it appears the cables are coupled together into a common line. Bank 2 is a slight noticable change, and it did stall after unplugging no.4.
2x VVT/VCT swapped from bank 1 (driver side I think), to bank 2 passenger, no change.
Ground on driver side seems fine, screwed down tight, bit brown but shouldnt be an issue.
Cleaned throttle body with wipe, nice and shiny seems fine?
Checked Fuel injector fuses, not blown.

Next on the list is to check O2 Sensors swap them from side to side, I dont understand how it would be that cause if O2 is bad it should run lean? - But plug 5 was wet.
Fuel injector, possible number 5 is gone, will swap banks 1 over to 2. Again ive never worked on car but should be simple enough.
Maybe a air leak somewhere. I dont have a smoke tester, but ill buy a pack of cigarets and puff into however its tested and see if it leaks.
Possibly going to buy a compression tester, sometimes after running car and turning off a few times it sounds like no compression, rarely happens but also might link to bad timing chain.

OBD Readings
DTC_CNT - 7
LOAD_PCT - 32.9%
ECT - 60Degree
SPARKADV - 25Degree
MAF - 11.75g/s
TP - 27%
02S11 - 0.7V
02S12 - 0.450V
02S21 - 0.045V - Odd?
02S22 - 0.450v
FRP - 5400kPA
FLI - 54.9%
Baro - 100kPa
CATEMP11 - 627Degree
CATEMP21 - 630Degree
VPWR - 15.1V
LOAD_ABS - 24%
LAMBDA - 1.55%
TP_R - 12.5%
AAT - 20Degree
TP_B - 27.5%
APP_D - 27.5%
APP_E - 27.1%
TAC_PCT - 19.5%
- No idea what these mean but hopefully one of you smart fellas can shed some light on possible issues.
------
Errors Misfire 1,3,5. P0300, 01, 03, 05.

Anyway im going to work on it for a bit until Im out of ideas and cant figure it out. Worst case scenario id need a new timing chain. All my information is from google, hundreds of forums and pages, dumb it down for me cause I dont fully understand mech head lingo.
Would be greatly appreciated if I could get some assistance. Thanks for taking the time to read, ill keep the forum updated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
It should not idle like a bucket of shite if the chains are faulty, it normally logs a code,

It has to be an issue with wiring/loom/ loom ground/connectors.

Why would it drive ok and by the time it heats up,
it faults,
Check ALL plugs under the bonnet, especially the Coil/Injector plug at the Back under the manifold.

Has it had any work done on it recently ?

Last edited:

Kraken

Reaction score
Members Ride
Taken off manifold, cylinder 5 covered in black oil or something. On the outside looks like it leaked. Gasket seems fine no cracks, heaps of oil in the manifold and cylinder. 1/3/5 are worse then 2/4/6. 5 being the worst. Checked the wiring behind manifold on left side, seems to be all connected no cut wires.

Kraken

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate I’ve had a read. Taken out the fuel injectors. 1/3/5 were completely covered in black crud and the holes seemed to be blocked. Number 5 was extremely oily - unburnt, lots of dirt and rubbish on the tip of injector. 2/4/6 looked like normal old injectors, not great condition either. But number 5 was absolutely filthy.
Ordered a new 6 pack from eBay $120. Should be coming within 3-4 days. Hopefully this fixes, if not next on the list is o2 sensor, swap sides. I’ll keep you guys updated.

Kraken

Reaction score
Members Ride
It should not idle like a bucket of shite if the chains are faulty, it normally logs a code,

It has to be an issue with wiring/loom/ loom ground/connectors.

Why would it drive ok and by the time it heats up,
it faults,
Check ALL plugs under the bonnet, especially the Coil/Injector plug at the Back under the manifold.

Has it had any work done on it recently ?
Sorry mate didn’t see your question, alternator had been replaced from a wrecker car 180kms, water pump new, apart from that just standard service. Fuel injectors seemed to be completely blocked on 1/3/5 especially 5.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Thanks mate I’ve had a read. Taken out the fuel injectors. 1/3/5 were completely covered in black crud and the holes seemed to be blocked. Number 5 was extremely oily - unburnt, lots of dirt and rubbish on the tip of injector. 2/4/6 looked like normal old injectors, not great condition either. But number 5 was absolutely filthy.
Ordered a new 6 pack from eBay $120. Should be coming within 3-4 days. Hopefully this fixes, if not next on the list is o2 sensor, swap sides. I’ll keep you guys updated.
never use cheap ebay injectors
they cause more problems than they fix
better going to the wreckers and get the even bank injectors

Kraken

Reaction score
Members Ride
never use cheap ebay injectors
they cause more problems than they fix
better going to the wreckers and get the even bank
Refunded the ebay injectors - Injectors are not the issue. After looking at cylinder 5 just aboce the lifter valves, Left side Theres a piece of shrapnel or something, appears to be blocked the lift. Took off the casing for the camshaft on and long & behold the Tappet has come off on that specific one. After doing a little research, Possibly bent pushrod, or something But I have to somehow get to the lifters and get rid of that piece inside. Cant really find and tutorials at the moment. Ill Lyk.!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Refunded the ebay injectors - Injectors are not the issue. After looking at cylinder 5 just aboce the lifter valves, Left side Theres a piece of shrapnel or something, appears to be blocked the lift. Took off the casing for the camshaft on and long & behold the Tappet has come off on that specific one. After doing a little research, Possibly bent pushrod, or something But I have to somehow get to the lifters and get rid of that piece inside. Cant really find and tutorials at the moment. Ill Lyk.!
Any photos of what's going on? Where's that piece of shrapnel exactly?

Kraken

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any photos of what's going on? Where's that piece of shrapnel exactly?
Managed to cut 1/2 of it off. And take it out. Was not metal. More of a plastic/ black material. Kind of like a hard chalky plastic. Possibly a fat chunk of carbon, but it was more like plastic tbh. Figured if I just crank engine it should give me some room to take it out, didn’t realise it would drop into the cylinder so now it’s gone for good . I’ll send a photo tommorow, chucked half in the bin.