Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

big hp slow ets

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
yeah thanks for clearing that up, it was up around 540lb on another dyno whatever that is to nm, worked out that's a 55hp difference in both dynos.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Still up there with 540 ft-lb = Brake Mean Effective Pressure of 15.42 Bar, means your camshaft raises (torque per litre) to the same as a Formula One engine or a high performance turbo. Just saying if that is indeed the case then your HP is way way low!
If I were looking to get more speed on the strip I'd want better information from the dynamometer.

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
if that's the case look back a few pages and you will see the dyno readout showing the torque and hp from a dynamics dyno and tell me your thoughts ?

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
dynamics dyno

28u0nlh.jpg

mainline dyno

168dj6c.jpg

2zi1yjm.jpg

can someone explain if the tune is right and is it running lean or rich, basically got no idea what im lookin at just the hp reading

and with that can I be running better times than 12.2?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
picture #2 shows it running a little lean. I would think around 12.5:1 @ WOT would be the target,
although there is a dip around 6000rpm where it richens up a little, and then lifts again when it leans back to 14:1afr.

Would be nice if they showed you your power from 3 or 4k upwards instead of 5000rpm up. What rev range do you use when racing??

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
1000nm wtf????

Yeah the torque is not displayed properly in any of the reports, and I've never seen a plot begin at 5000 RPM for an LS either. OP wants to know why big hp (380hp is not so big) gets slow et.
My bet is that 12.2 is on the money for 286rwkw.
No fricken thanks to the dyno operators, like I said if it was my money I'd want better charts, they are all ****.
The torque curve under 5000 RPM is important to consider, would explain a lot more, fuel leaned out to milk hp but not ideal for run or longevity.

shaness8

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG F6 VX SS
Bit of a dip at 6000rpm maybe valve springs? not sure, the graph doesn't look right motor seems to make power very late and what Deuce said 3k and up would be nice.

Who put your cam in.

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
update ran a pb of 11.6@116mph with 1.566 60 ft and a 12second pass spinning the tyres on slicks at 3000rpm but did 2 passes with an 11.6 so im pretty happy if that's the power in making so be it.