Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black oil after 2000kms

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
If your changing oil regularly to clean out the engine you don't need synthetic, cheap mineral stuff will do, add a engine flush when changing and follow the bottles directions

Also spray a can of upper engine cleaner in there, again, follow the cans directions, and do it before the oil change

And yes, service your PCV system

I would also service the transmission, coolant, brakes, powersteering and diff for piece of mind

I always like starting from a clean slate with all the used cars and bikes we get

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
If your changing oil regularly to clean out the engine you don't need synthetic, cheap mineral stuff will do, add a engine flush when changing and follow the bottles directions

Also spray a can of upper engine cleaner in there, again, follow the cans directions, and do it before the oil change

And yes, service your PCV system

I would also service the transmission, coolant, brakes, powersteering and diff for piece of mind

I always like starting from a clean slate with all the used cars and bikes we get
The overwhelming advice has been to not use engine flush in a high km LFX due to risk of blocking it?

The auto place said the same thing about the trans. Being high km they suggested more harm than good might be done by servicing it

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The overwhelming advice has been to not use engine flush in a high km LFX due to risk of blocking it?

The auto place said the same thing about the trans. Being high km they suggested more harm than good might be done by servicing it

It's starting to sound like a good reason to steer clear of vehicles with high kilometre LFX engines.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
It's starting to sound like a good reason to steer clear of vehicles with high kilometre LFX engines.

I bought it as i got it for a bargain.

It was the cleanest example i had looked at. I paid $9k and other were asking $18-20k.

It drives extremely well, im just being cautious

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
id just use some cheap oil for a bit and run it thru and check the dipstick every 100km or so and if its black just dump it and change out, once its black its not cleaning anymore its just circulating deposits within the engine so get it out soon as u can to keep cleaning it

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I bought it as i got it for a bargain.

It was the cleanest example i had looked at. I paid $9k and other were asking $18-20k.

It drives extremely well, im just being cautious
I wouldn’t be too worried mate. There are plenty of high km LFX and some Alloytecs out there

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I would definitely chuck some upper engine cleaner like @Ginger Beer suggests, I've used the subaru stuff on my L77 when I bought it, got a decent bit of white smoke out.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I'd do 3 months or 5000km changes from now until the oil starts to look better. Changing it too often is unnecessary. Let it work and clean...Just because it's black does not mean it will stop cleaning...
After a few of these you could then routinely run engine oil flush with changes...

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
After reading this thread I thought I would look at my oil the Car has done nearly 5000km
and all is good on a slight discoloration happy I did this because its is near due for the next service 500kms
to go but does have a good history that the oil has been changed ever 5000k or so buying from a car dealer may
cost more but a you always hope better out come