Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Body control module

simone52

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Holden Commodore
Hi Guys.
I have a 2005 vz commodore I'm trying to decide on a new genuine BCM or reconditioned due to the price difference new $359 reconditioned $159.
It has 285000ks on clock

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Where is the new one from?
Is the the correct type of BCM?
Not just any BCM goes on.
There will be cost to set up on the car and that maybe around $250 or $300.

It’s unusual for a BCM to require replacement. Would be good to know why and also what evidence the person diagnosing gave you for replacing it.

simone52

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Holden Commodore
Where is the new one from?
Is the the correct type of BCM?
Not just any BCM goes on.
There will be cost to set up on the car and that maybe around $250 or $300.

It’s unusual for a BCM to require replacement. Would be good to know why and also what evidence the person diagnosing gave you for replacing it.
Thankyou I am aware that I have to have the correct BCM for my vehicle. Basically the BCM is not recognising the key 2 different auto electricians have both diagnosed the same problem. As most things these days you dont repair or replace the faulty relay no you have to get a whole new part. I'm just going to get the new one so it has a warranty.
Thanks

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d buy reconditioned if money is tight.

There is more to the security system than the BCM. It relies on a couple of sensors and a couple of modules as well.

I would be asking that they leave the old parts in the car.

simone52

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Holden Commodore
I’d buy reconditioned if money is tight.

There is more to the security system than the BCM. It relies on a couple of sensors and a couple of modules as well.

I would be asking that they leave the old parts in the car.
Well all very interesting reading other posts regarding the issue I will certinally dig a bit deeper as it had a reconditioned BCM replacement last April. I just assumed it was the same thing as I have the won't unlock or lock or start intermittently if I squeeze the key in the right place it works. Thanks for your advice

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
if I squeeze the key in the right place it works.
That sounds like the key fob needs replacing?
Take it to a locksmith & explain what is happening. See what they say?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well all very interesting reading other posts regarding the issue I will certinally dig a bit deeper as it had a reconditioned BCM replacement last April. I just assumed it was the same thing as I have the won't unlock or lock or start intermittently if I squeeze the key in the right place it works.

That’s not a BCM issue.

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d be looking to the sun sensor which get really gross and dirty. That is between the windscreen vent panels. That little flat bit. That receives the IR signal from the key to lock and unlock the door. It is separate from the security network (for want of a better term). I cleaned one up with CO Contact Cleaner.

@krusing replaced his and had everything working again.

If yours gets a bit iffy, put the key on the glass right at the sensor and it might open the car.

The sometimes doesn’t start thing, I’d be checking the contact of the pin on the key to the slip ring around the ignition barrel. If that looses contact when turning the key, or driving, it’s going to fail to start or run.

Slip rings are sometimes all grot inside and would benefit from a clean or replace them with minimal skill and cost.

Sometimes that pin on the key head gets pushed in a bit and contact is infrequent.

In both cases, I’d be looking to get a new key head and have it programmed in to the car. You don’t need new keys cut, but it’s nice to have the whole thing looking new.

I’ve gone down the path of aftermarket keys and had nothing but less money and a headache.

simone52

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Holden Commodore
That sounds like the key fob needs replacing?
Take it to a locksmith & explain what is happening. See what they say?
Thanks Lex yes this is the second time I've had these issues in under a year just last time started with the hazard lights not turning off and the alarm activating alot using the key to manually open and lock door

simone52

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Holden Commodore
I’d be looking to the sun sensor which get really gross and dirty. That is between the windscreen vent panels. That little flat bit. That receives the IR signal from the key to lock and unlock the door. It is separate from the security network (for want of a better term). I cleaned one up with CO Contact Cleaner.

@krusing replaced his and had everything working again.

If yours gets a bit iffy, put the key on the glass right at the sensor and it might open the car.

The sometimes doesn’t start thing, I’d be checking the contact of the pin on the key to the slip ring around the ignition barrel. If that looses contact when turning the key, or driving, it’s going to fail to start or run.

Slip rings are sometimes all grot inside and would benefit from a clean or replace them with minimal skill and cost.

Sometimes that pin on the key head gets pushed in a bit and contact is infrequent.

In both cases, I’d be looking to get a new key head and have it programmed in to the car. You don’t need new keys cut, but it’s nice to have the whole thing looking new.

I’ve gone down the path of aftermarket keys and had nothing but less money and a headache.
Hi Guys I really can't thank you enough for your input regarding the issues with my car. The key seems to work better when I'm at the front of the car and also the slip ring is very loose.
You possibly already know this but sharing as it was very helpful when I couldn't start the car and realised the pin was missing from my key.
I was working and had done a job previously for a AV guy when i told him the pin was gone he took the key into his electronics workshop opened it up and put under his magnification tool and basically all that pin does is end the circuit we actually used a pin from a 3 pin audio cord and it worked perfectly.

Anyways can someone tell me if there somewhere other than you tube for instruction videos on cleaning the sun sensor and fixing the slip ring
I like to see if I can do it myself.
Thank you