Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boingk's VT II Wagon - "The Pursuit Wagon"

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
A smooth intake pipe might help a smidge too with air flow to go along with that filter and a two hole mod on your air cleaner box for a bit of induction noise..

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
Thanks guys, always good to get knowledgable feedback.

Zom, I can't wait to fit the extractors, just need to find the time. I have a Chrysler Valiant that benefited greatly from a set, I definitely know what you mean.

Kangavxss, I've been toying with the idea of getting one if the $135 mafless pipes listed on eBay. Is there a better source? My airbox had two holes stock, one with the j-pipe which I removed and the other is smaller and feeds from behind the headlight... was this a crossover fitment from factory?

Cheers - boingk

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Before I got my otr I got the smooth pipe from tuff car parts but if your still intending getting an otr id put the money towards that instead. My standard air box had the factory two holes same as yours but I enlarged those and made up two short ram tubes from pcv pipe slightly heated and forced over a bottle to get that funnel shape, fixed em in place and silicone sealed. Still got air from behind the headlight but it gave a nice induction growl when accelerating. There is a how to on this forum somewhere.

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
Thanks kanga, looks alright. I might give it a shot, even if its just to replace the j-pipe with a ram tube.

I drove the wagon up to Newcastle today, got 8.8L/100km out of her, sitting on 115kmh most of the way. Not bad at all, wonder if it'll get any better without the maf there?

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
Before the Anzac weekend I crawled under the car and got at replacing the diff oil, which in my humble experience is never replaced until a new diff is put in, sometimes not even then. I syphoned the old, foul, burnt-smelling stuff out and put some fresh Nulon 85W-140 premium mineral stuff in there. Its smoothed things out, even toning down a mild clunk that was happening in stop-start traffic which is now gone. $25 well spent, highly recommended.

I also gave her a quick wash with Meguiars Gold Class, then an equally quick wax with SCA Spray Wax. Turned out alright I reckon

IMAG0362.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

I also got around to scrubbing back the extractors with a wire brush and coating them in high temp paint. I've decided I'm going to just get them fitted up professionally, I literally won't have the time to do it myself.

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0357.jpg

Til next time - boingk

Zom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Blown LS3 Berlina Wagon
Extractors came up nicely. Now you know why I had others do my work :)

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
Thanks Zom, and yep, much easier and quicker seeing as I'm pretty busy at the moment!

I got the car back yesterday after having them fitted and promptly took the car for a quick flog up the freeway to help bake the paint into the pipes. The exhaust has given a bit freer revving to the engine and almost completely removed the dreaded catback exhaust drone.

I'd highly recommend the Pacemaker system, especially if you an get a cheap used set like I did.

Cheers - boingk

Zom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Blown LS3 Berlina Wagon
Good result! What's next?

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
Update!

I'm back online after a move over a thousand kilometres across the country.

The good old VT is going better than ever. It'll run half decent on E10 but for the real experience you need 98 octane to stop the knock sensor kicking in and retarding the ignition timing to stop detonation. Then its a monster! I'd highly recommend the very cheap mods I've done to her - the ECU from LSXtreme, extractors, catback system and a K&N filter have given a very nice bump in power.

The plan for now is to only do some basic things to bring her up to scratch. I still need a mafless pipe or an old airflow sensor I can hollow out and refit to keep the stock look, as well as installing new bonnet struts and a new set of front shocks as I've got the dreaded spring rattle from the front end rearing its ugly, irritating head. She's also using a little bit of oil on long runs at speed (1200km @ 110kmh+) but I think that's partially due to the crappy oil I used in her - Castrol GTX 15W-40. Its due for a change soon so I'll up the game and use some good Gulf Western, Nulon or Penrite stuff in 10W-40 or 50 to keep things rolling smoothly.

Anywho, heres a quick shot from my move across the state:

IMG_9648.JPG

Cheers all, I'm still in the game!

- boingk