Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boingk's VT II Wagon - "The Pursuit Wagon"

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
Nice wagon mate so wish my was ls1 maybe oneday lol

Cheers Chris, no worries on the good old V6 though... swap a T5 into it (dirt cheap unlike the T56 I need!) and then some 1.9 ratio rockers from Mace and some extractors. It'll be powering around like it has no right to!

I'm planning a similar conversion on an Ecotech ute for a local car comp, should be fun!

- boingk

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
No worries. They're really not bad engines, probably one of the most underrated engines going around I reckon. They're reliable, easy to work on and can put out decent power... especially if you turbocharge them!

The 1.9 ratio rockers from Mace Performance is a bit of a cheat, makes the camshaft appear bigger than it really is. It won't cause problems with reliability and should run on the stock ECU as the cam timing and duration isn't affected, only the lift. A retune would see more horses but I'd save that until you have everything how you want it... or just not bother.

- boingk

vtchris

Reaction score
Members Ride
series1 99 vt wagon
Thanks mate ill look at soing something like that oneday or i might just do a ls1 convertion lol

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
No big news for the good old VT wagon, but I did recently take her on a 2500km roadtrip and a reeeally good hoon session along the way through some nice twisties. Yeah, 1650kg wagon and twisty roads don't usually go together but when its got 300kW* of LS1 motivation things get a bit different!

I met up with my Dad and knowing he despises autos with a passion I took advantage of still having a 3.07 rear end in it and told him to lock it in second gear and turn the traction control off... that's about right for tight twisty roads in this thing as you'll hook up everywhere and top out a bit over 100kmh, so perfect for 'canyon carving'. So that's pretty much my story of drifting a stationwagon with my Dad hahahaha!

The service was just to give her a good oil flush, 6L of Nulon 10W-40 full synthetic oil and top it off the Nulon 'Modern Engine' anti-wear additive which contains Teflon. She responded by getting 8.5L/100km on the highway run from Goulburn to Newcaste, including some horrible traffic on Pennant Hills Road going through Sydney. Can't get much better than that with a 5.7L V8!

IMG_20160319_105124.jpg

Cheers all - boingk

* Disclaimer in all likelihood not actually 300kW.

Zom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Blown LS3 Berlina Wagon
8.5 litres is impressive!

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
Cheers guys, and yep I was floored by the figure as well Zom!

Doing about 115kmh up the freeway toward Sydney it was sitting on about mid-9's per 100km, having just refilled with 98 at a 7/11. Getting closer to Sydney it kept dropping... and dropping, sitting on 9.0/100km and I was like Nice! Then, it clicked under to 8.9/100km and STILL kept on dropping. NOICE!

Right on the outskirts of hitting the M roads off the Hume it was on 8.0/100km and... it clicked under to 7.9/100km! WTF?! It hit a low of 7.6/100km, too. Musta just been the open freeway with very little traffic to have to negotiate and a recent service with quality products.

- boingk