Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brembo Brake Upgrade - COVID 19 Edition

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yes mate replaced the BMC, the engineer checked the bigger one went in, also photographed the old one to prove we did that properly. He was very thorough right down to checking that new caliper bolts were installed. Photographed everything and was all over it. Few pics from the donor and other assorted photographic evidence.
Easy as hey :)

You should call the thread..
Brembo Brake Upgrade - COVID - 19 Edition.
Glad you found the engineer helpful.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
.. Photographed everything and was all over it. Few pics from the donor and other assorted photographic evidence.
Gee, doesn’t seem to take much to write a commodore off if the pic of the donor car is any guide... cars seem so disposable these days :oops:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Gee, doesn’t seem to take much to write a commodore off if the pic of the donor car is any guide... cars seem so disposable these days :oops:

Looks like quite a front impact on the white car. Cars are designed to crumple nowadays to avoid the squishy things inside getting hurt.

Crash a 90s Volvo and it will be an economical repair, but you won't be able to move your neck ever again!

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
Big hit on the old girl.

Attachments

• B64C9BCD-4920-48F7-AB55-FBD8FF2CD5E6.jpeg
    B64C9BCD-4920-48F7-AB55-FBD8FF2CD5E6.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 154

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like quite a front impact on the white car. Cars are designed to crumple nowadays to avoid the squishy things inside getting hurt.

Crash a 90s Volvo and it will be an economical repair, but you won't be able to move your neck ever again!
I‘m aware of the purpose of the crumple zone is and how it protects the occupants but it doesn’t look like a really heavy frontal impact to me. Yes just the drivers airbag went off so it wasn’t trivial blow either.

From the photo @Thorby posted, it looks like a glancing blow going left to right... someone ran a stop light/sign maybe?

But it doesn’t take much to write off cars these days which was my point. All that is needed is a rather light hit near the airbag sensor and the car can be totalled (two front airbags and two seatbelt tensioners may be enough on their own with low value older cars).

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
From the photo @Thorby posted, it looks like a glancing blow going left to right... someone ran a stop light/sign maybe?

There is more damage there than what would have been caused by a "Glancing Blow" as you put it
That has sustained a fairly reasonable whack and it is highly likely there will be more damage that is clearly not visible in the pic
Anyone with any first hand experience in repairs will only have to look at the rails and they'll know that

Is it fixable.......Without a closer in person inspection, it could possibly be
Given enough time and money (and an old school skilled type of tradesman) nearly anything can be fixed
But is it worth the cost to fix it from the insurance companies perspective............Absolutely not
It does seem as though everything is a disposable item nowadays

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, the white donor car is definitely messed up by the looks of the damage. But this white car must have been going through some sort of intersection and had not built up much speed, hence the front was not pushed in very much. The other car must have been going at a higher speed, left to right in relation to the white car, which would explain why the white cars frame rails are pushed to the right.

The white cars side airbags don’t look like they deployed, though the drivers airbag was. This seems indicitive of a low speed crash (as detected by the crash sensors).

Still, the car is definite a write off as it doesn’t take much to write cars off these days. Repair cost between 70% or 80% of the cars value and it’s done. I think, but not sure, that certain damage also results in a car being classified as a statutory write off irrespective of the cost to repair. I’m not a panel beater or a crash investigator but such screwed impact damage like this I’ve not seen in any crash test video.

This sort of damage doesn’t seem to happen in any frontal impact or an offset frontal impact crash tests videos I’ve seen. As such, I’d thing such glancing blow across the front are not tested during development.

Was it a violent crash, yes, as violent an a frontal impact, probably not but it would have been frightening for the occupant in any case.

Can such damage be fixed, absolutely. Would it be economical, absolutely not.

The good thing about this crashed white donor car is that IMO it’s the ideal candidate for spare parts as the vehicle itself didn’t suffer huge forces as seen in a true frontal impact or an offset frontal impact. That means the parts @Thorby got are a good buy :cool:

Heres some crash test videos just cause I like seeing them :p