Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Building a new house in the bush - advice needed

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Thanks for all the great advice especially your highly detailed answer Brad! I'm going to check out a few places this weekend so I will try and collect as much detail as I can.

Even If i had a perfectly level block, I assume there would be quite a bit of cost involved with clearing the bush away and also the council to deal with?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Just my 2 cents and this is from experience, make sure you get your own individual soil testing done BEFORE you pay for the block.

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Thanks will do.

What's the process after I find a few blocks I'm interested in. What sort of inspections should be done? Should I be looking for builders/architects at this stage?

Obviously I know nothing about this :)

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Soil test is the main one. As mentioned, ensure it is one YOU or your engineer/ designer has organised.

Architects are expensive, but by all means visit one, and a building designer, or a builder who you may be likely to go with, as they may have their own design team. Get a good repore with whoever you are going through, and they will spend the time with you exploring options on different blocks. If they dont want to spend the time, they are not the right people to use.

In QLD, I dont know about your area, soil tests cost around $330-$440, sometimes more if the tester knows the area and considers it necessary to drill more holes.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
A soil test in SA is between the 350 to 500 mark. Some councils will request a conture plan of the site too. Your local council (area your going to build) will be a great help too - just visit the planning dept. and tell em what your planning and they can assist with things spacific to your area. Set backs for bush or suburb blocks, how close to boundries............

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Ok this is the sort of slope that we are looking at. Would this be considered steep???

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 11,901

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
Thanks for all the great advice especially your highly detailed answer Brad! I'm going to check out a few places this weekend so I will try and collect as much detail as I can.

Even If i had a perfectly level block, I assume there would be quite a bit of cost involved with clearing the bush away and also the council to deal with?

Well all I will do is warn you about Blue Mountains Council.... they are painfull for land development proposals (especially residential), if the trees are alive and above a certain height you must get council aproval. Took mum 6 years from putting forward the proposal (with a large house building company) till when she could move in.... they even made her pay for a bungled easement encasement (they subcontracted and they stuffed up the encasement....) before she could build and the expense went from 94 000 to 164 000.... thats not including the purchase of the land (subdivision of existing owned block). Also expect if your in a bush surrounding place to have a sprinkler system, custom glass (fire proof or sum bull****) and other annoying measures maybe even if its a non town water sight a pump for bush fire usage of your water.....

Just out of interest what area are you looking at? Katoomba Wentworth Falls etc?

EDIT:Council even tried to say that a 5 year old plum tree should be heritage listed due to its being at least 50 years old...

Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Ok this is the sort of slope that we are looking at. Would this be considered steep???

I'd say it's getting close to being called steep - yes.

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Well all I will do is warn you about Blue Mountains Council.... they are painfull for land development proposals (especially residential), if the trees are alive and above a certain height you must get council aproval. Took mum 6 years from putting forward the proposal (with a large house building company) till when she could move in.... they even made her pay for a bungled easement encasement (they subcontracted and they stuffed up the encasement....) before she could build and the expense went from 94 000 to 164 000.... thats not including the purchase of the land (subdivision of existing owned block). Also expect if your in a bush surrounding place to have a sprinkler system, custom glass (fire proof or sum bull****) and other annoying measures maybe even if its a non town water sight a pump for bush fire usage of your water.....

Just out of interest what area are you looking at? Katoomba Wentworth Falls etc?

EDIT:Council even tried to say that a 5 year old plum tree should be heritage listed due to its being at least 50 years old...

Sounds like a nightmare! We are looking for as close to the city as possible so maybe down near Springwood, Faulconbridge area.

What building company did she use?

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
another question to think about is truck access if you're building in the bush. if you've got a dirt road going to the property, don't even think about trying to get a truck close if its wet!