Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cabin filter replaced, now airflow is distinctly low.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Our Calais had a wire mesh screen, replaced it with Wesfil filter. Used many of them. Never had an issue. We used the pollen filters.
Ditto. My Calais V (since new) came with the bog standard mesh filter. Replaced with a pollen type. Makes little difference to air flow AFAIK.

BTW, you might want to check to ensure you've fit it correctly and nothing is impeding from plenum area down. If the fan seems to be working harder then you might well have something 'stuck' in your fan - check that before it needs replacing... :} Just a thought, you've probably already checked this?

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I used the OEM mesh filter for a month or two before installing the pollen filter. I can’t recall any noticeable differences between the OEM mesh ‘filter’ and the pollen filter. The only noticeable difference was the ‘new filter’ smell for a few days.

The biggest, and best, improvement came from having the ‘after blow’ function enabled. That eliminated the occasional wet smell from the heater box.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
The biggest, and best, improvement came from having the ‘after blow’ function enabled. That eliminated the occasional wet smell from the heater box.
'After blow'? What's that?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Our Calais had a wire mesh screen, replaced it with Wesfil filter.
Ditto. My Calais V (since new) came with the bog standard mesh filter. Replaced with a pollen type. Makes little difference to air flow AFAIK.
Odd, as I’d read in some spec/review that the Calais had a a proper cabin filter though can’t remember what year that was. Now it’s seems that not only do some (all?) Calais have a mesh filter, it seems that’s also the case for the Calais V :oops:

That seems like just a GM/H cheap arse move considering base model Korean shitboxes have quality cabin filters :(

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
After blow is a dealer programmed setting using diagnostic tool to keep the cabin fan spinning for some minutes after shutting the engine off.

It’s purpose is to dry out the condensation that can form on the evaporator during humid days when the ac is working. Afterblow thus minimise the risk of the wetness causing module and associated smells.

In my opinion, such a feature should have been exposed to the vehicle owner via MyLink :cool:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

’After blow’ is a function that turns on the fan about 15 minutes after parking the car. The idea is to blow air through the heater box to help dry out any moisture/water left there after the a/c evaporator core de-ices.

Unfortunately, it isn’t user-enablable so has to be done by a dealer or someone with the required programming or configuration tool. I had Holden do it at one service (and they did it free of charge).

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I also fitted a wesfil cabin filter recently and noticed the same issue. Now the fan speed needs to be turned up a few clicks higher to get the same airflow as it had with the factory flyscreen. So the filter definitely restricts the flow.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Ok. What if…
What if the fan was a bit flogged out, but you didn’t notice it was because it had no resistance with the povo mesh screen in there.
It’s job is simply to keep leaves and larger debris out as a basic function.

When the pollen filter went in, the fan actually had to do some work and like a lazy person in the office, it’s been called out on a lack of performance.

It’s super easy to change the fan motor. I might suggest a new fan or one from wreckers and the problem is resolved.

Available solutions to this issue:

• Re-engineer the entire HVAC. Manufacture them and sell as an after market product.

• Buy a different brand of filter

• Go back to using the old screen.

• Replace the blower motor.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Ok. What if…
What if the fan was a bit flogged out, but you didn’t notice it was because it had no resistance with the povo mesh screen in there.

When the proper filter went in, the fan actually had to do some work and like a lazy person in the office, it’s been called out on a lack of performance.

It’s super easy to change the fan motor. I might suggest a new fan or one from wreckers and the problem is resolved.
I doubt the fan is the problem. The filter paper on these things looks a lot like like a sheet of A4 paper, and is double layer... so I'm not surprised it restricts the air.
Maybe a more expensive filter allows better airflow? If this one gets worse I'm going to get a pin and poke 300 holes in it:)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
As mentioned, we always used Wesfil and their pollen filter and never had issue.