Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cabin filter replaced, now airflow is distinctly low.

tomsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega VE series 2 LPG sedan
Wesfil has about 20% less pleats compared to Holden filter and I believe it is filter causing issue.

But coming back to original mesh. Pics shown here are exactly what I had but if anyone knows the part number. I will like to see what Holden claims is the purpose of that leaves buster.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I doubt the fan is the problem. The filter paper on these things looks a lot like like a sheet of A4 paper, and is double layer... so I'm not surprised it restricts the air.
Maybe a more expensive filter allows better airflow? If this one gets worse I'm going to get a pin and poke 300 holes in it:)
Get a Ryco pleated filter, plenty of surface area to suck through.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Don’t discount a manufacturing fault and poor quality control by the Wesfil manufacturer.

Best is to pull it out and hold the filter up to a light and check if anything within the filter is blocking airflow. While the filter is out also check the fan area for blockages and the airflow at various fan speeds.

Hopefully something will become apparent doing the above.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Wesfil has about 20% less pleats compared to Holden filter and I believe it is filter causing issue.

But coming back to original mesh. Pics shown here are exactly what I had but if anyone knows the part number. I will like to see what Holden claims is the purpose of that leaves buster.
Exactly that. To keep leaves out. Did a good job.
The VE has a cabin intake design totally different to anything previous.
VB-VZ were quite similar with an upward intake, shielded above and best they had was a metal mesh screen that was like big fly screen.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
These are what's fitted standard on most VE/VF models, and HSV's.

View attachment 258792
I was surprised that our 2014 WN Caprice V had the same as the photo's above. Yes only a stone leaf catcher and that's it. I added Ryco cabin filter and it did slightly reduce the flow. Same as our 2008 VE Anniversary as it had nothing except for wire screens above but i give it a Ryco cabin filter I think not the same as the WN Caprice V and i noticed it reduced the flow in the cabin too..

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Yeah i can't talk re the Wesfil filter... mine is an ACDelco one. Seems to do a good job and no significant air flow reduction.
Thx for the info re After Blow. Keep thinking after burners...:cool:

tomsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega VE series 2 LPG sedan
Guys my preference is NO filter, I am happy with the way VE was made with mesh. I trashed original mesh when I fitted wesfil filter now how to get OEM mesh? does anyone knows what is the Holden part number for it? Yes for original mesh not holder part number for optional cabin filters. Thanks

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Guys my preference is NO filter, I am happy with the way VE was made with mesh. I trashed original mesh when I fitted wesfil filter now how to get OEM mesh? does anyone knows what is the Holden part number for it? Yes for original mesh not holder part number for optional cabin filters. Thanks
I have 3 that I don't really need.
If you're close to Sunbury, you can have one of mine.

Simso1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega ute
My car was bit smelly and I thought of replacing cabin filter. Original looked pretty see through as the material appeared to be never dense or worn out. Fitted a wesfil filter visibly denser but no way looked to me as if it will constraint the air flow. However now the airflow is distinctly low and fan noise is very low too. Can't believe it is a filter or something else I did is causing this? Any clue. Thanks
Did you remove the filter and see if it reverted back to the way it was previously

I fitted a simple repco pollen filter and noticed no difference on mine today other than an immediate improvement in the smell coming out of the system

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Did you remove the filter and see if it reverted back to the way it was previously

I fitted a simple repco pollen filter and noticed no difference on mine today other than an immediate improvement in the smell coming out of the system
Of course it will back to normal when you take the filter out.
People are forgetting that there are different quality filter fabrics, not only the number of pleats.