Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cam for VS

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
jesus mate thats impressive wat u lookin at getting with the charger?
also was just thinking do u sugest i put of the cam and do other mods first thing like rockers and head work and say a shift kit then the cam. would that be better or just go the cam first?? sorry for all the questions lol

im quitely hoping for 350hp+, but i dont really know, there arent too many ecotec blown strokers to gauge off.
as for what you should do, its really going to be based/restricted on your cash flow. the ideal way about it would be to do everything at once, like rip the heads off, send them away for reco and porting, get a cam sorted out and put it all back together at the same time.
but ofcourse you need a considerable amount of coin to do that in one go.
id recommend having as much as you can done before a tune, even the shift kit, as kalmaker can change the shift points and variables for the transmission as well.
dont worry about asking all these questions, its how you learn:thumbsup:

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
yeh dont think i have enough to get my heads done at the moument us poor uni students never have any cash lol so looks like ill just get the cam for now then heads a bit later on. cheers

probably better to save your money then get them done at the same time. No point getting a lesser cam because you can't afford the heads then later getting another cam hey?

Do you currently have aftermarket exhaust extractors etc?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
well for a decent size cam the heads need work, you'd probably also invest in some better valve springs at the time as well, so even for a basic street porting of the heads and a shave for some comp. your looking at around at least $1k...just for the heads alone.
ontop of that its recommended to have a stallie to go along with a cam+head combo like this so there's some more coin you need.
its an expensive process man, what sort of budget have you got to work with and will you need a mechanic to do all the labour for you?

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
gezz this gets worse and worse lol should just give up
ive got about 1500 for the cam at the moument that probably should cover parts and labour i was told as i cant do much of the work and that includes valve springs and a timing chain. wat who happen if i put of the head work? is it a MUST have cos i was planning on doing that later on anyways

MyStreetCar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
Yea, there is no question that once ya start changing camshafts everything does start to become expensive. I do agree that the fitment of a stage 2 camshaft kit will probably leave you disappointed as the best output you can expect is approx 125 rwkw.

I have fitted a stage 3 Crow camshaft to my vehicle however, was almost talked out of it favour of the stage 2 kit. Looking back now, I am glad I made the last minute decision to go stage 3 as I feel I got the edge I was looking for and the engine has a real mean idle and thats exactly the outcome that made me feel good....!!!!

I retained the stock cyl heads however, I did have a 3 angle valve job carried out which is basically a mild upgrade to increase flow that most importantly is not expensive to carry out whilst the heads are being reconditioned.

For more info check out my web site: My Street Car
I placed my entire build up online. There is some interesting info etc that may further help you out.

Cheers

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
gezz this gets worse and worse lol should just give up
ive got about 1500 for the cam at the moument that probably should cover parts and labour i was told as i cant do much of the work and that includes valve springs and a timing chain. wat who happen if i put of the head work? is it a MUST have cos i was planning on doing that later on anyways

or as i posted before you could get some high lift rockers for $700 and that would increase your mid range and top end:) it really depends on what you want to get out of your car daily streeter? or something you can take down the track/strip? i figure if you have to do your heads when you change the cam then your looking @ $2000 minimum for both the cam package & the head work ect so unless (imo) your looking to build the engine up and throw on a super charger or turbo or unless you really want to stick with the 6 then you could always consider throwing in an eight instead? you can pick up a 5 litre package from most wreckers with box for around $2500 or less but its all personal prefference but best of luck with it anyway thats my 2cents worth:thumbsup:

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
yeah keep saving and buy a supercharger :D

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
yeh my original plan was to get a set of rockers but then was told a cam would be more effective. and yeh an 8 is an option but im on my p's and dont think id be able to drive it same goes with the charger. but yeh might just get the cam done then the heads in a month or so depending how i go.